APA 6th journal title formatting

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
brandigt

APA 6th journal title formatting

Post by brandigt »

I apologize if this has been covered on another feed. I could not find anything addressing journal titles.

I have been using bookends for several years now and almost always need APA 6th edition formating. One thing that drives me crazy is journal title capitalization. Frequently, journal titles are not imported in title case, but in all caps or sentence case. I have looked several times in the formats editor to tell bookends to compile journal titles in title case in the bibliography. Currently I manually edit them. Am I overlooking this option or does it not exist?

Thank you for any insight!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: APA 6th journal title formatting

Post by Jon »

In the format definition there is the option to set the case for Authors, Editors, and Title. Set the pop-up menu next to Title to Title Case. Note that you need to do this for each Type in the format.

Jon
Sonny Software
brandigt

Post by brandigt »

My issue is not the title of the article, but the title of the journal. Can the journal title settings be changed here?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can do that with a journal glossary -- Bookends will use the capitalization specified there.

Jon
Sonny Software
brandigt

Post by brandigt »

Oh wow! Thank you for pointing that out! This will be very beneficial. Looks like you thought of all the components to journal titles! I cannot get over how useful this software is. I wish I had asked about this sooner.

On that note, is there a quick way to create a journal glossary? I typically use EBSCO or Eric. If not, the glossary makes me incredibly happy and relieved.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We provide quite a few glossaries (they are not specific to a journal -- they hold the names of journals). If you don't find one that has the journals you cite, make a new one in Bookends and enter the data there.

Jon
SonnyS oftware
brandigt

Post by brandigt »

Those are journal databases. I do not see an existing glossary that has education journals. I started making a new glossary. Is there a way to import these fields rather than typing them individually?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes they are, and yours will be too (education journals). There's no repository of journal names, so there's nowhere to import them from. I can tell you that they are just plain text files (UTF-8 encoded text) in the format

abbr tab short name tab full name return (chr(13))

So if you have an excel spreadsheet, from someone else or found on the Internet for example, you could save it from Excel as a tab-delimited file and Bookends would treat if is a glossary, if you add

.gloss

as the extension to the file name.

Jon
Sonny Software