Chicago 17th Edition

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
RobBienvenu

Chicago 17th Edition

Post by RobBienvenu »

Hi Jon and all--

The Chicago Manual of Style was recently (in September 2017) updated to the 17th edition. I didn't see updated Chicago 17th formats (A and B) in version 13 (which is operating nicely, BTW). I anticipate reviewing and updating locally over the next month or so, but I'm wondering how we—the Bookends community—might best contribute to format updates embedded in Bookends. I'd be happy to share any updates I create based on the new style guide. Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Chicago 17th Edition

Post by Jon »

Users can post/swap formats directly. But if you see an error in a format we ship, or update a format we ship to a newer version, I'd appreciate it if you send it to me (support@sonnysoftware.com) so that we can include it in our next release. The SBL format was created and is maintained in this fashion.

Jon
Sonny Software
hollowsocket

Post by hollowsocket »

I'm running into a problem with Chicago 17 A in that I don't know how to enter an editor for a book when the primary author is other than the editor. The editor in my case is not a translator but an editor of a Latin text written by another person. How can I modify Chicago 17 A to make a space for an editor?
hollowsocket
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Sounds like an Edited Book. If it's not, but close, you can make a new Type in the format based upon Edited Bookends and tweak that to meet your needs.

Jon
Sonny Software
hollowsocket

Post by hollowsocket »

Jon,

The volume isn't an edited book, at least not in the way that category is currently formatted. The author is a 16th-C Spanish theologian, whose Latin work in question was edited by a 20th-C Spanish scholar. I don't want the 20th-C scholar's name at the front of the entry, which is what "edited book" gives me. I want the 16th-C guy at the front.

I want to add an editor field to Chicago 17 A's "book" type that would occur after the title but before the translator. How can I do that?

HS
hollowsocket
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please check out the Bookends tutorials, PDF and video, for how to edit a format. Here's a link to the video tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CowJRIu ... load_owner

Basically, if you enter the Spanish theologian in the Authors field and the 20th century scholar in the Editors field, you can put them in whatever order you want -- refer to author as 'a' and the editor as 'e' in the format's Order field.

a e

would output the author and then then the editor, for example.

a t e

would output the author, the title, and then the editor.

Jon
Sonny Software
hollowsocket

Post by hollowsocket »

Jon, thank you! I edited the field order for a book in Chicago 17 A to be:

a. t. $Edited by $e. $Translated by $u3*. l: u, d. [for a bibliography entry]
a, t $, ed. $e $, trans. $u3* `(`l: u, d). [for a citation]

Then I put the editor of the volume in "Ser Editors" in the list. Since in Chicago it is not necessary to name editors of a series, I'll never run into a conflict between naming the editor of a single volume and using this field for a series editor.

This has solved my problem so far.
hollowsocket
hollowsocket

Post by hollowsocket »

Alas, I'm still having problems. See this formula for the Citation/Book format, with relevant portions in bold:

a, t $, u2 ed.$ $, ed. $e $, trans. $u3* $, u13 vols.$ `(`l: u, d).

Unfortunately, this yields citations where the edition and number of volumes does not format properly. Here is an example of what comes out:

Basile Valuet, OSB, La liberté religieuse et la tradition catholique: Un cas de développement doctrinal homogène dans le magistère authentique, u2 ed., u13 vols. (Le Barroux, France: Éditions Sainte-Madeleine, 2011).

But "u2" should be "3rd" and "u13" should be "6"!

What am I doing wrong?
hollowsocket
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You have unmatched $'s. These are quote marks and come in pairs.

They are also placed incorrectly.

a, t $, u2 ed.$

is placing the letters u2 inside the quote. Itshould be

a, t u2$ ed.$

Jon
Sonny Software
hollowsocket

Post by hollowsocket »

Jon, when I put the field outside of the quotes, how then do I ensure that the commas will be placed only in citations with an edition or number of volumes? If I apply your suggestion of (a, t u2$ ed.$) to edition and analogously to number of volumes, I get this output:

Basile Valuet, OSB, La liberté religieuse et la tradition catholique: Un cas de développement doctrinal homogène dans le magistère authentique 3rd ed. 6 vols. (Le Barroux, France: Éditions Sainte-Madeleine, 2011).

But for Chicago it should look like this, with the two extra commas:

Basile Valuet, OSB, La liberté religieuse et la tradition catholique: Un cas de développement doctrinal homogène dans le magistère authentique, 3rd ed., 6 vols. (Le Barroux, France: Éditions Sainte-Madeleine, 2011).

Thoughts?
hollowsocket
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please refer to the documentation again -- I gave you links to the video tutorial above.

I was just pointing out your error, i wasn't instructing you on the details of formatting (that's why we have documentation). Briefly, *you* have to put the commas there yourself. Again, as an example off the top of my head, something like

a, t, u2$ ed.$, u13$ vols.$ (l: u, d).

If you don't want the comma after u2 if there are no volumes, consider using conditional groups (again, explained in the user guide)

If you have further problems please take this off-forum and contact tech support.

Jon
Sonny Software
hollowsocket

Post by hollowsocket »

Here is a solution for the benefit of others:

a, t {, u2$ ed.$^} $, ed. $e $, trans. $u3* {, u13$ vols.$^} `(`l: u, d).
hollowsocket
jwergin

Post by jwergin »

I have put together a book proposal sent to several publishers, with different and contrary citation formats, such as spelling of first names and capitalization of titles. What do I do about this in my library?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please start a new thread. And include more specific information about what you want.

Jon
Sonny Software
Maxwell_Carver

Post by Maxwell_Carver »

hollowsocket wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:59 am Here is a solution for the benefit of others:

a, t {, u2$ ed.$^} $, ed. $e $, trans. $u3* {, u13$ vols.$^} `(`l: u, d).
Thank you, this was very helpful. Curious why the edition (where applicable) isn't in the Chicago 17th A format, as it's part of the style.