Citing Letters According to the Chicago Manual of Style

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
ehbarnet

Citing Letters According to the Chicago Manual of Style

Post by ehbarnet »

Hi all,

I'm trying to cite letters according to the Chicago Manual of Style, and I'm having a bit of trouble with the first/last name orders. Here are a couple of examples (taken from the CMOS17 page) that illustrate the problem.

Footnote:
Adams to Charles Milnes Gaskell, Baden, September 22, 1867, in Letters of Henry Adams, 1858–1891, ed. Worthington Chauncey Ford (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1930), 133–34.

Suppose I have as my author Adams, Henry, and my editor, Ford, Worthington Chauncey. As I understand it, in the Format window, I can determine whether I include or leave out first names. The problem is that, in this footnote, all of these details change - ie. I leave out Adams' first name at the beginning, but include Ford's first and middle names.

Bibliography:
Jackson, Paulina. Paulina Jackson to John Pepys Junior, October 3, 1676. In The Letters of Samuel Pepys and His Family Circle, edited by Helen Truesdell Heath, no. 42. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1955.

I run into the same problem here, albeit now with the order the order of first names and last names. I want last name, first name for the first entry. Then I want first name last name as part of the letter title.

I know that I can control these name orders and whether or not to put in first names in subsequent notes, but I want to control this within the footnote itself. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Citing Letters According to the Chicago Manual of Style

Post by Jon »

I think you'd need to store the names twice, the second time in a user field (e.g. User1), and then refer to it in the format when you want the alternate form of the name used.

u1

Note that if you want Bookends to treat the name as a, uh, name, you'd add an asterisk

u1*

But in your case that may not be what you want, you just want the name output as entered (e.g. Adams).

Jon
Sonny Software