IEEE Xplore Online Search

Users asking other users for import filters.
athe

IEEE Xplore Online Search

Post by athe »

Hello,

I have an institutional access which grants me access to full text journals in IEEE Xplore. How can I set up Bookends to search IEEE Xplore and retrieve the pdf during import? The filter for IEEE Xplore does exist in my bookends v13.4.8, although the internet searching is disabled.

Best Regards,
Andrew
Jon
Site Admin

Re: IEEE Xplore Online Search

Post by Jon »

You can't directly search it in Bookends. It's just a web site, there is no API nor a Z30.50 server solution AFAIK.

From sites like this you can usually "export to citation manager" as RIS (RefMan) or other variants. These can be imported into Bookends like any other RIS file (that's what that filter is for).

Jon
Sonny Software
athe

Post by athe »

That is sad. :(
I did some research and found that IEEE Xplore publishes some APIs in https://developer.ieee.org/docs. Is this something relevant for now or maybe for future release?

Andrew
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Actually, you don't need it. You can use Bookends Browser with

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/home.jsp

As long as the article you want has a DOI (most or all should) you can import the reference using the downward arrow in the broswer's toolbar. I just tried it and it works.

Jon
Sonny Software
athe

Post by athe »

I works for me too. Thanks for the advice.

I still have one particular issue. With my institutional access I can open the pdf full text (by default using the built in pdf viewer), but the download button does not seem to be functional. I clicked on that and nothing happened. In Safari, the download button works fine.

Andrew
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you can view the PDF in Bookends Browser you can download it by either dragging and dropping the Bookends PDF Proxy Icon (onto the library window or the Desktop) or right clicking on it.

Jon
Sonny Software
athe

Post by athe »

I already did that. But bookends saves it as ".webarchive" instead of ".pdf". I think, this has something to do how IEEE Xplore link the pdf. The URL does not show a direct link to the pdf full text. Here is an example of the pdf link: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp ... er=8257263

I was hoping that I could download the pdf into local folder then drag it into bookends. But this also fails, as I mentioned before regarding the download button.

Andrew
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's behind a paywall, I can't get to that page.

If it's a .webarchive that means you haven't navigated to the PDF itself. You must do that for Bookends to import the PDF.

If you don't see how you should write to IEEE support -- I'd be very surprised if it can't be done.

Jon
Sonny Software
athe

Post by athe »

ok, thanks for the support.

Andrew