ATLA / OCLC

Users asking other users for import filters.
newrome

ATLA / OCLC

Post by newrome »

How do I import a ATLA / OCLC reference into Bookends? I can do this in Endnote using the ALTA OCLC import filter without problems.

When I try to drop it into Bookends, it tries, but imports nothing.

I have tried both the ATLA and OCLC ATLA filters. Does the file's extension matter?

I have tried it without extension (that's how it is saved from OCLC), I have tried it with .txt, but nothing seems to work. I am sure it is user error. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

You can open the text file you are trying to import and compare it to what these filters expect. I think a minor tweak will be all that is needed (e.g. telling Bookends what tag is used to begin a new reference -- that often is slighty different between different vendors).

If you can't figure it out, send me the text file as an attachment and I'll take a look.

Jon
Sonny Software
sly3

error with OCLC internet utility

Post by sly3 »

When I try to search for or import files with OCLC FirstSEarch WorldCat, I am prompted to log in, which I do (confirmed the password just now). Then I get an error message <h1> failed to initialize in fsz3950.org
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I can't test this because I don't have a subscription to that service. But it could be that their server is down, or that something has changed in the contact info (Internet tab of the filter).

Jon
Sonny Software
sly3

Post by sly3 »

I was having trouble searching with several filters. Jon suggested that I uncheck "password required" (in the Bookends filter, under internet). After I did that I connected just fine.

But...

I am still can't internet search. After I unchecked require password, I am able to connect to OCLC WOrldCat and other sites (like ProquestDirect) , but I am now getting all kinds of initiation errors. Any ideas?.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Unless someone has any suggestions, I think you'll have to contact your library about connection details...

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

I'm not sure if the ATLA issue has been resolved, but you should export it as RIS from ATLA. Then shift>drop it into bookends using the ATLA RIS filter (I think Jon included this- if not just duplicate and change the RIS filter you have)

Danny
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~