Adding a Z38.50 Library

Users asking other users for import filters.
mchapman

Adding a Z38.50 Library

Post by mchapman »

Wonderful new version.

According to the documentation that comes with Bookends 8 I should be able to search in any of 100s of Z39.50 enabled libraries found here <http://www.loc.gov/z3950/gateway.html#U>.

My University library (University of Toronto) is found in the list. However, I can’t figure out how to search it.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Mark,

Actually, you can search many, many libraries that are NOT on that list.

Create a new filter (base it on an existing internet search-enabled filter, one shown in italics), click on the Internet tab, and fill out the information there (server address, port, etc.). Your library has this information.

This information can also be gleaned from looking at the source of the LOC web page. A quick glance shows that for U Toronto the server is

sirsi.library.utoronto.ca

and the port is

Most of the other settings will work reasonably well (fields to search, etc.) because many libraries offer similar services, but of course they each need tweaking if you are using some higher end features.

You can also contact me for a filter (although I will be unavailable for a few days)...

Jon
Sonny Software
mchapman

Post by mchapman »

With the addition of one field to add the call numbers it worked perfectly.

Wonderful. Surprisingly easy. Thank-you.

Is there somewhere I can upload it so that others can make use of it?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you send it to me I'll add it to the distribution package.

Thanks

Jon
Sonny Software

Re: Adding a Z38.50 Library

Post by Guest »

mchapman wrote:Wonderful new version. According to the documentation that comes with Bookends 8 I should be able to search in any of 100s of Z39.50 enabled libraries found here <http://www.loc.gov/z3950/gateway.html#U>. My University library (University of Toronto) is found in the list. However, I can?t figure out how to search it.
kissedsmiley

Harvard Z35.50 Hollis catalog

Post by kissedsmiley »

when I tried clicking on the internetSearch/Harvard, I typed in my usual userid/password, and the system failed to acknowledge me. Could this be due to their unusual formatting? There is a file they created for Endnote as below, but I'm not sure that relates to the automatic filter, right?

I'd love to get the automatic search set up for especially PsychInfo and, lesser so, this Harvard catalog. The catalog should be easier though, and it should use the same password info.

Thank you for any help!!
Anne

===
To use EndNote filter you must collect records in a list.
In HOLLIS:
• From a results screen, choose the records you would like to save by clicking in the check box next to the record
• Push the "Add to List" button
• Once you have the records you want to download, click on "View List"
• Click on "Print/Save/Send" from the list presented
• Choose "MARC tags" from the Record Format drop down menu
• Click on "Print/Save/Send"

There are two versions of an EndNote filter available for download:
• For Windows: http://lib.harvard.edu/help/HarvardMarc.zip
• For Macintosh OS: http://lib.harvard.edu/help/HarvardMarc.enf.sit
•
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi, uh, kissedsmiley (you aren't THE Anne, are you?),

This filter worked with a userid/password provided by others. Please contact me directly with this info (for you) and we'll see what can be done.

Jon
Sonny Software
Klaas

Post by Klaas »

Jon wrote:Hi Mark,

Actually, you can search many, many libraries that are NOT on that list.

Create a new filter (base it on an existing internet search-enabled filter, one shown in italics), click on the Internet tab, and fill out the information there (server address, port, etc.). Your library has this information.
hm. i can't seem to find any italics in the program or any option that says 'create new filter'

I was wondering if the VUBIS system also allows these querries. According to the LOC list LIBIS does. It would be useful for me as not all my books are English books but not many available libraries have dutch books in their collection.

K.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Klaas wrote:hm. i can't seem to find any italics in the program or any option that says 'create new filter'
Open File -> Import Filter Manager...

Jon
Sonny Software