problem with SWB (Südwestdeutscher Bibliotheksverbund)

Users asking other users for import filters.
Reiner

problem with SWB (Südwestdeutscher Bibliotheksverbund)

Post by Reiner »

Hi there,

today I got a mail from the SWB that they had an error on their server and so I tried again to get an import filter for this service working. At least now I get results but there are still problems:

- I get results but they are not shown in the list pane while I can navigate between them (they are invisible) and see their details in the details pane.

- I can select multiple of them and copy them to the database. after importing them (this takes a time) nothing can be seen in the database.

Does anybody have an idea how to interprete this behaviour? Where is the error?

- In the details pane diacritics are not shown correctly though the text encoding is correctly chosen. (ISO 8859-1) -- btw is it correct that bookends doesn't support ISO 5426 which would be an alternative from the SWB?

If somebody wants to test, here is my filter: http://ske.macbay.de/SWB.zip
ozean

Post by ozean »

ok, I took a look - there are several connection possibilities. we probably want the "free for everyone" lite version.

info on the z39.50 connection can be found here:

http://titan.bsz-bw.de/cms/service/swb/ ... SO5426.pdf

the full (limited IP access) info is here:

http://titan.bsz-bw.de/cms/service/swb/ ... nleihe.pdf

using this info, I changed Reiner’s file – now it connects :)

however, there is still a lot to be done to get useful imports. I have to socialize now, therefore I will only upload the changed import filter.

http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~frers/_SWB.zip [edit: this file has been updated - see below]
Last edited by ozean on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozean

Post by ozean »

an update: I am now working on the filter – hopefully it should be done too

(posted this just to avoid double work by two people)
ozean

Post by ozean »

Jon,

can you tell us what ISO codes are “hiddenâ€
ozean

Post by ozean »

ok, I updated the import filter and tweaked it as far as I could so that it imports all the information that can be harvested.

Three problems remain:
  • The Author column in the search window is populated only by the contents of UNIMARC field 700a, not by 200f too, which I defined as giving author information, too. Therefore the author column often remains empty.
  • The year column in the search window always lists the year 2001 instead of the value of UNIMARC field 210d, which I defined as delivering the year value.
  • The filter only works when the encoding is set to “Defaultâ€
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Hi ozean,

thanks a lot for working this out. Are you in contact to anyone at SWB in order to eliminate the still existing problems? Otherwise I could do that.

All the best, Reiner
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi ozean, thanks for doing all this.

Default means that Bookends doesn't ask for a specific encoding -- it lets the library decide. But the library doesn't tell Bookends what it decides, so Bookends may not display accented characters correctly. ANSEL is marc8.

You'd be amazed at how nonstandard z39.50 implementations are.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

thanks!

Reiner: nope, no contact to anyone. living an academics life hidden with books behind and keyboard in front of me. no people. ;)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I added support for 200f for author display in the search window, btw (if 700a is empty). This will be in 10.0.1.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Most excellent!