Dublin Code and RDF

Users asking other users for import filters.
whshep

Dublin Code and RDF

Post by whshep »

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find anyway to extract Dublin Core metadata and put it into a Bookends reference. I'm currently finding a lot of references in web journals that don't have any bibliography export features, but are marked with Dublin Core. An import filter would certainly be more fun than old cut'n'paste.

If this is not yet implemented, it might be worth having an RDF import filter that would do the job. It could also serve as a template for more complicated metadata formats.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Dublin Core is an XML derivative. Bookends supports it for JSTOR, but import filter parsers (which are intended for tagged exports, which XML is not) won't. That is, it's hard-wired.

Jon
Sonny Software
whshep

Post by whshep »

Consider it a feature request. RDF is meant for the exchange and use of machine-readable metadata, and Dublin Core only has fifteen fields. Support for it will only make Bookends more attractive in the future.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Why not send me an example of a Dublin Core file you'd like to import so I can see what would be involved?

Jon
Sonny Software
whshep

Re: Dublin Code and RDF

Post by whshep »

Why not send me an example of a Dublin Core file you'd like to import so I can see what would be involved
Take a look at the new online journal Theological Librarianship.

http://journal.atla.com/ojs/index.php/theolib

Every article is a PDF, and has DC metadata attached. But I can't figure out a way to get it into Bookends without resorting to old-fashioned cut'n'past (the "Cite" export files are terrible, might as well start from scratch).

This is an instance where machine interoperability ought to be easy, given adherence to the standards. But I have yet to see it, even in Zotero. If you can do it, my hat will be off to you!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Dublin Code and RDF

Post by Jon »

How do you see the metadata? I tried opening a pdf I downloaded in Adobe Acrobat and it just crashed.

Jon
Sonny Software