Oxford Journals and Cambridge Journals

Users asking other users for import filters.
minorbob

Oxford Journals and Cambridge Journals

Post by minorbob »

Hi - I've been using Bookends for a month or so, and still feel like a "newbie", so apologies if this request is inappropriate.

Is there a possibility of import filters being created for Oxford Journals and Cambridge Journals, please? I see that there is an Oxford U and Cambridge U filter, but they appear to be for books and not for the journals.

Do I need to provide any more information on these website for you to be able to do this?
http://journals.cambridge.org
and
http://www.oxfordjournals.org/

Thanks in advance,
Murray
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Oxford Journals and Cambridge Journals

Post by Jon »

Direct searches require something like a z39.50 server. Libraries often have them, publishers usually do not. However, publisher sites (like this) usually allow you to export the citations to your "citation manager". If you export to Reference Manager (in Bookends Browser or your default browser), the file that is downloaded can be imported into Bookends via drag and drop, using the RIS filter.

Of course, you can bookmark these sites in Bookends. Then use the Bookends Browser to get to the citations. The main advantage here is that you can easily download and attach a pdf accompanying the article with a simple drag and drop.

Jon
Sonny Software
minorbob

Post by minorbob »

Thanks so much for your help Jon.

I tried the two ways that you suggested, but didn't seem to be able to get either site to work.

The Cambridge site seems to recognise that I am logged in automatically based on my IP address (I presume) in either Safari or Firefox, but not in the Bookends browser. So I can search, but not download anything.

The Oxford site seems to work better, I can search and (in theory) download PDFs. I tried the two methods you recommended. Firstly, navigating to the PDF in the BE browser, then dragging the proxy icon into the main window of my BE database. However, this tried to attach the PDF to whatever reference I had previously selected in the database window. I also tried right-clicking on the proxy icon, but selecting either "Attach PDF to new internet" or "new empty reference" made a malformed reference (no author imported and all details from the citation concatenated in the title field) and when I tried to open the attached PDF, I get an "error opening the document" error in Acrobat. The PDF shows up as being 4kb on my hard drive.

I also tried opening the Reference Manager citation (e.g. http://services.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/ ... j;50/1/117) in the BE browser, but nothing seems to happen when I click the link. If I save this citation to my desktop then drag it onto the BE window, it creates a blank citation.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Murray
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Please contact us directly for tech support (support@sonnysoftware.com).

The proxy icon attach is working as it should -- the pdf is attached to the selected reference. Also, when you attach to an empty reference, you're doing just that -- Bookends creates an empty reference and attaches the pdf to that.

As I mentioned, you have to "export to citation manager" and then import that info into Bookends with the RIS filter (I suspect you didn't select this option from the popup menu in the Bookends import dialog). Then attach the pdf (via the proxy icon) to that reference.

Please download and read the section in the user guide on Bookends Browser (http://www.sonnysoftware.com/BookendsUserGuide.pdf.zip)

Jon
Sonny Software