Web of Science

Users asking other users for import filters.
mtauton

Web of Science

Post by mtauton »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew the details of how to make Bookends import references from Web of Science. And be able to use the Internet Search utility to search for references and citations on Web of Science.

I am particularly interested in the Search Utitlity.

Thanks,
Matt
Travis

email import

Post by Travis »

I haven't found a good way to use the integrated search window. Anyone know how to do this? Is there a way to inject strings into the URL that BE sends? For instance, at my school we only need to change this:

www.isiknowledge.com/blahblahblah

to:

www.isiknowledge.com.libproxy.mit.edu/blahblahblah

I can't find a way to add "libproxy.mit.edu" into the search URL.

Also, I found sending citations from WOS via email, copying them to clipboard and then importing them into BE has a bug. The Volume field says that it should format as "vol(issue)" but instead it is "issuevolume". (i.e. instead of "15(4)" it is "415". Anyone else seen this?

And the filter for WOS needs to add PT into the Type field and make "J" for journal.

This are some of the troubles/pitfalls/limitiations I have found in the last two days. Anyone had more success?

Travis
Jon
Site Admin

Re: email import

Post by Jon »

Travis wrote:Also, I found sending citations from WOS via email, copying them to clipboard and then importing them into BE has a bug. The Volume field says that it should format as "vol(issue)" but instead it is "issuevolume". (i.e. instead of "15(4)" it is "415". Anyone else seen this?
It is a simple matter to fix this -- in the filter, just move IS from the Volume field to the Issue field. I'll add that in the next release.

Jon
Sonny Software
Travis

Re: email import

Post by Travis »

Jon wrote: It is a simple matter to fix this -- in the filter, just move IS from the Volume field to the Issue field. I'll add that in the next release.
Jon
Sonny Software
Duh! I looked for the "Issue" field but wasn't expecting it down there. I guess I just glanced over it.

Thanks!
t

I can't import from WOS at all.

Post by Guest »

If I download a citation as .txt or .cgi or tab delimited, you name it, it will not import into bookends.

Bookends tries to import but tells you that the number of imports = 0, OK.

Being able to get references from WOS by import and the search utility is a feature that should be included in future releases. I have colleages that will not switch from EndNote to Bookends because Bookends will not retrieve WOS citations. Although they like Bookends better than EndNote for other reasons.

Matt
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You are using the WOS filter?

If so, please contact me directly with the .txt file you are trying to import. It should be simple to either edit the WOS filter or create a new one.

Jon
Sonny Software
mtauton

Check email.

Post by mtauton »

Jon,

I sent you an email about this topic.

I will post another reply when we come to a conclusion about how to deal with WOS so that other may benefit as well.

Matt
mtauton

Final Conclusion

Post by mtauton »

The WOS filter in Bookends will import from citation files downloaded from the WOS science citation index website. Jon made some minor changes to the filter stating:

It was trivial to fix -- your ouput uses FN at the beginning of a
reference, the filter was expecting PT. I also changed it a bit to
import the issue correctly.

It will not work as a search utility within Bookends for the following reasons that I learned from Jon.

1. I have Endnotes connection files. Notice that there is a custom data
that must be included in the connection (that's not Z39.50), and the
Search Attributes don't look much like those for other Z39.50
searches (there are words where there should be numbers). If there's
is a Z39.50 server it is different from any others, and they of
course provide no information on how to connect to it.

2. And note the comments about WOS on this web page:

http://dbwiz.lib.sfu.ca/dbwiz/doc/insta ... ndors.html

which states: "ISI Web of Science does not support Z39.50."

So we are out of luck for a search utility within Bookends for WOS. However, your favorite web browser can do that work, correct. After finding the references in WOS online, mark them, and export them as Field Tagged to a file. Then drag that file to the list view of Bookends and select Web of Science from the drop down menu of import filters.

Matt
keith_df

Web of Science has changed - no longer imports

Post by keith_df »

Hi All.
Many of us use Web of Science - I have successfully imported WoS into Bookends for the past three years, but in the past week WoS has changed many of its features (all for the worse as far as I am concerned).

The relevant problem here is that the import filter no longer works with whatever WoS spits out as Export to Reference Software. However, I can read the exported .cgi file which looks just the same ASCII as before, but the Bookends filter simply does not recognise it any more- the file name is pale grey unclickable.

I have notified WoS/Mimas about this and am awaiting a reply.

I notice that they are now not hiding the fact that they are tied in with Thomson's End Note etc.

Anyone any ideas or comments?
I am now stuck.

Keith. :(
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Keith,

I don't know anything about changes in the WOS output (I wouldn't expect them to be substantial), but the disabled name in the Get File dialog box is easily taken care of.

It is gray because the file lacks TEXT as its file type and has no (or an unrecognizable) extension. You can import these files in several ways:

1. Make .txt the file's extension

or

2. Drag and drop onto a Bookends database window with the Shift key held down (which forces Bookends to treat the file as a text file).

or

3. Open the file in a word or text processor, copy the contents to the clipboard, and import into Bookends from the clipboard.

Jon
Sonny Software
sly3

Post by sly3 »

Is anyone else still having probloms with web of science importing/searching? I am having failure to initialize issues with WOS (and lots of other filters)...
Grateful,
Sera
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The WOS filter isn't for Internet Search -- it's for importing files downloaded from WOS.

Filters that are in italics are for Internet Search. Those that aren't won't work for that.

Jon
Sonny Software