Cambridge Scientific Abstracts

Users asking other users for import filters.
Enkidu

Cambridge Scientific Abstracts

Post by Enkidu »

Hi all,

Anyone have a filter for CSA? I'm having trouble designing one myself, the source field keeps changing (and sometimes doesn't exist at all), in particular I'm having trouble with the volume # of journals.
wprinz

Post by wprinz »

The bookends people made a input filter that worked for Cambridge Scientific Abstracts with Bookends 7, but it no longer works in Bookends 8. I get a "Database Engine Error."

I would be happy to share the filter with anyone who thinks that they canfix it.

Bill Prinzmetal
wprinz@berkeley.edu
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We distribute a CSA import filter with Bookends 8, too. The error you are getting should have nothing to do with that -- try rebuilding/repairing your database.

Jon
Sonny Software
wprinz

CSA

Post by wprinz »

I got my database working. I had to remake the database from a Bookends 7.7 database as it would not rebuild.

However the CSA input filter is incorrect. For example, the journal volumn gets put in the title, etc.

Sonny made a filter for me, and it works correctly. (Thanks, BTW). Unfortunately, I think it just does journal articles. If you want to work with me to fix up the CSA filter, let me know. I can send you CSA outputs and the messed database entries. Be happy to help.

Bill Prinzmetal

wprinz@berkeley.edu
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Outputs from sources change over time, and have to be updated periodically. Send me what you have and I'll take a look.

As far as different reference Types, that can be a problem if the source uses the same tags for different things. When that happens, you have to segregate the references and use different import filters for each Type.

Jon
Sonny Software