Filter from MS Excel

Users asking other users for import filters.
JPDease

Filter from MS Excel

Post by JPDease »

I am new to this amazing software. I have been using excel to catalog my reference with Data labels such as TITLE, AUTHOR, VOLUME, ISSUE . . . I am not sure how I might import this data into Bookend 8 . . . . any ideas about file format to save the excel and how I might set up the import filter?/

ANY Help would be greatly appreciated!!

Paul Dease :shock:
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can export from Excel as a tab-delimited file. You can then create a filter in Bookends that reads in this file. Hint: you would use the Source parser to see tabs and place what is in between in the field you want.

Please refer to the User Guide for complete details...

Jon
Sonny Software
JPDease

Reference Begins with . . . ????

Post by JPDease »

So I am reading the PDF Help document and finding it mostly helpful. However, I do not know what to tell the filter the reference begins with when it is simply of the the first reference. This also extends to the parsing: what is the source 1 tag when the frist thing in this file is text. Do I simply leave it blank, type in the word "letter" or what . . . Thank you for you continued help!!! :D :D
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Good questions.

Why not have the first field output be a dummy, containing say "Ref".

Then in the filter have Bookends look for Ref as the beginning of a reference. And in the Source parser tell it to look for Ref as well.

I think this should work.

Jon
Sonny Software
JPDease

Ref as dummy field prior to each record

Post by JPDease »

Jon,
I have tried many permutations of this idea: REF, Ref, REF:, Ref:
All to no avail. I am currently not registered with the software and understand that only allows me to do 50 references - so I read in the documentation. Perhaps Importing Tab Del. is a paid featured, or maybe I am missing something in the setup of the filters. In the general filter section I am leaving the left side colm's blank, and providing the right side info. i.e. "References start with...." "References end with...."
I have also told the Source Menu what the source tag is (REF, Ref, REF:, Ref:) and indicated "tab" in the subsequent feilds. I am at a loss.

Thanks,
Paul
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The demo is fully functional (except for the 50 reference limit).

Please send me the filter you have made, as well as a sample of one or two references exported from Excel. I'll see what is wrong.

support@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software