INSPEC

Users asking other users for import filters.
hsleff

INSPEC

Post by hsleff »

I am trying to import references from INSPEC into BE. I have constructed an import filter that does the job in part, but not completely. This is because INSPEC seems to place the journal name, volume, page numbers and year in ONE field, labeled Source. Is there any way to parse this combination field into its parts? Some internet surfing shows that INSPEC filters seem to be readily available for EndNote (yuck) and other software. What about BE?

On a related point, I find that when BE does not support an imported file format, opening the file with a text editor, selecting ALL, copying to the clipboard, and then importing directly from the clipboard works beautifully. Perhaps everyone knows this already, but to me it was a revelation -- and a relief!
Harvey S. Leff
Professor Emeritus of Physics
California State Polytechnic University
Pomona, CA 91768
Jon
Site Admin

Re: INSPEC

Post by Jon »

hsleff wrote:I am trying to import references from INSPEC into BE. I have constructed an import filter that does the job in part, but not completely. This is because INSPEC seems to place the journal name, volume, page numbers and year in ONE field, labeled Source. Is there any way to parse this combination field into its parts? Some internet surfing shows that INSPEC filters seem to be readily available for EndNote (yuck) and other software. What about BE?
There is a source parser (second tab of the import filter). Please take a look at the User Guide (separate download), which explains how it works.
On a related point, I find that when BE does not support an imported file format, opening the file with a text editor, selecting ALL, copying to the clipboard, and then importing directly from the clipboard works beautifully. Perhaps everyone knows this already, but to me it was a revelation -- and a relief!
No doubt what you are referring to is that sometimes the Open File dialog doesn't let you select the file you want to import. That's usually because the file lacks the necessary metadata to tell Bookends it is a text file. You can remedy this by adding ".txt" to the file name. OR, even better, just drag and drop it on a database window with the Shift key held down -- that forces Bookends to consider it a text file and offer to import it.

Jon
Sonny Software