Booxter Export / Bookends Import

Users asking other users for import filters.
sebheck

Booxter Export / Bookends Import

Post by sebheck »

I am still new at this...bear with me!

I am trying to export from Booxter and to import into Bookends. If I do that via BibTex filter, some of the fields show up correctly. But I am losing the LCCN (library of congress catalog number) which I desperately need in Bookends.

I don't know how BibTex is structured so I don't know how I would have to adjust the import filter in order for the LCCN to show up in my Bookends references after the import.

As always, thank you so much for your kind, prompt and humble assisstance, Jon.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi sebheck,

If you post an example of a reference exported from Booxster, and tell us where the LCCN is in the output, I'll tell you how to adjust the Bookends filter accordingly.

Jon
Sonny Software
sebheck

Post by sebheck »

Richard A. Muller,1,230/.42/09 21,2nd ed.,Gebundene Ausgabe,,0801026172,,BX9422.3 .M85 2003,"Reformed Church--Doctrines--History--16th century.,Reformed Church--Doctrines--History--17th century.,Reformed Church--Doctrines--History--18th century.,Protestant Scholasticism.",DE,,,,,463,"Grand Rapids, Mich.",Baker Academic,,Prolegomena to Theology (Post-Reformation Reformed Dogmatics: The Rise and Development of Reformed Orthodoxy),,2003
This would be one reference as it looks after exporting from Booxter.
Obviously, I see the LCCN, "BX9422.3 .M85 2003" But I cannot get it to show up after import.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's not BibTeX. It looks like a comma-delimited export. Try BibTeX output.

Jon
Sonny Software
sebheck

Post by sebheck »

I did export BibTex, but how can I "look into" the code to copy it? I do not seem to be able to open ".bib" files. Should I send it to you as attachment?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can open it in TextEdit or any text editor. Better if you would open it and post it here, so that anyone who has a similar question will learn how to do this, too.

Jon
Sonny Software
sebheck

Post by sebheck »

Actually, I now see that the LCCN number is not exported at all from Booxter. So I went ahead and exported as text (comma delimited). This is what it looks like:
William Edgar,,1,230/.42 22,,Taschenbuch,,0875527949,,BX9422.3 .E34 2004,Reformed Church--Doctrines.,,,,DE,,,,,301,"Phillipsburg, N.J.",P & R Publishing,,Truth in All Its Glory: Commending the Reformed Faith,,2004
Jean Calvin,,1,230.42,,,,,60-5379,BX9420 .I65 1960,Reformed Church--Doctrines.,"Theology, Doctrinal.",,,DE,,,,,1734,"Philadelphia,",Westminster Press,"The Library of Christian classics,",Institutes of the Christian religion.,,1960
How can I get this imported so that the LCCN and Dewey numbers (entry 4 and 10) show up correctly?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It would be quite difficult. Much better to contact the author of Booxster and simply ask that he export the LCCN with the other information.

Jon
Sonny Software
sebheck

Post by sebheck »

How about an XML export from Booxter and XML import to Bookends? Would that work? How would I have to redesign the import filter?

This is what one entry looks like after exporting as XML from Booxter:
<book>
<isbn>3417295408</isbn>
<title>Das Reich Gottes als Wirklichkeit und Hoffnung: Neuere Entwicklungen in der evangelikalen Theologie (TVG--Orientierung)</title>
<authors>
<author>Eckhard J Schnabel</author>
</authors>
<language>German</language>
<format>Unknown Binding</format>
<publisher>R. Brockhaus</publisher>
<locale>US</locale>
<placePublished>Wuppertal</placePublished>
<series>TVG--Orientierung</series>
<deweyClassNumber>231.7/2 20</deweyClassNumber>
<locClassification>BT94 .S338 1993</locClassification>
<locSubjects>
<locSubject>Kingdom of God.</locSubject>
</locSubjects>
<copies>1</copies>
<pages>134</pages>
<year>1993</year>
<read>false</read>
<rating>0</rating>
<signed>false</signed>
<owned>true</owned>
<locked>false</locked>
<dateAdded>08-04-2006</dateAdded>
<dateModified>08-04-2006</dateModified>
<lentOut>false</lentOut>
<hasCoverImage>false</hasCoverImage>
<description>Language Notes
Text: German</description>
</book>
Obviously, both Dewey and LOC-numbers ARE THERE! (Yippieh!) But how would I get them to show in my reference window in Bookends after import? It just won't work for me...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends can import XML that follows the EndNote DTD. It won't import the Booxster XML output.

Jon
Sonny Software
sebheck

Post by sebheck »

That's a shame! Well, I did try to contact Booxter, but no one ever answers... So no hope on that end!

You said earlier that to import a tab or comma-delimited reference such as this:
William Edgar,,1,230/.42 22,,Taschenbuch,,0875527949,,BX9422.3 .E34 2004,Reformed Church--Doctrines.,,,,DE,,,,,301,"Phillipsburg, N.J.",P & R Publishing,,Truth in All Its Glory: Commending the Reformed Faith,,2004
Jean Calvin,,1,230.42,,,,,60-5379,BX9420 .I65 1960,Reformed Church--Doctrines.,"Theology, Doctrinal.",,,DE,,,,,1734,"Philadelphia,",Westminster Press,"The Library of Christian classics,",Institutes of the Christian religion.,,1960
...would be very difficult.
"Difficult" or "impossible"?

I only need LCC and Dewey numbers to show up somehow in Bookends, I don't really care how...!
Any thoughts? Please... ;-)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends can use the Source parser to extract multiple pieces of information from fields that have repetitive and predictable punctuation. But it can't do it for so many internal "fields" (where each comma delimits one field).

To import reliably, the data have to have some structure (tags provide this).

If you're not wedded to Booxter, there may be another solution for you later this year. That's all I can say at the moment.

Jon
Sonny Software
sebheck

Post by sebheck »

I am not wedded to anyon or anything - except for my wonderful wife! So I can most certainly wait for what's cooking...
Thanks anyway.