Autolinking Bookends and DEVONthink records

Users asking other users for AppleScripts that work with Bookends.
Zyblorg

Re: Autolinking Bookends and DEVONthink records

Post by Zyblorg »

Hi -- is there a way to run the script so that it doesn't make a new Library folder and duplicate the PDF record in Devonthink? I'd like the Bookends URL to be added to the existing PDF record in the folder in Devonthink that I already indexed.

Thanks,

G
Zyblorg

Post by Zyblorg »

It seems this is also the place to ask the following:

I understand that the Import References from Bookends function in Devonthink uses the Summary view in Bookends. I've been playing around with the Summary view, including the PDF name and User 20 field. But when I do the Import References, the new fields in the summary view don't seem to appear in the Devonthink record. So how does it actually work?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Zyblorg wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:06 pm I understand that the Import References from Bookends function in Devonthink uses the Summary view in Bookends. I've been playing around with the Summary view, including the PDF name and User 20 field. But when I do the Import References, the new fields in the summary view don't seem to appear in the Devonthink record. So how does it actually work?
The AppleScript is created by DT, so that's really a question for them.

Jon
Sonny software
Zyblorg

Post by Zyblorg »

Ok -- I will see if they can answer the question.

In the meantime, really all I want is the name of the attachment in the Notes field, because that would trigger Devonthink to make an automatic link from the attachment name to the attachment record. (And also put the name of the attachment followed by a space and the word Notes, which would also autolink to the Notes file I make for each reference). I would imagine it could be done by Applescript, but unfortunately my knowledge of Applescript is pretty rudimentary.
Zyblorg

Post by Zyblorg »

Ok -- So I was able somehow to make an Applescript that does what I want. I've posted the entire workflow into a new thread here in case it's of any use to anyone:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5738
tarot sport

Post by tarot sport »

I resurrect this conversation for a specific request, perhaps simple for the experts who populate this discussion. I would simply like to automate the process of creating a (possibly clickable) link from DevonThink's indexed attachments (x-devonthink-item-type) to the Bookends counterpart (bookends://sonnysoftware.com-type) and vice versa. I see that the user20 field is often used (while on the other hand I am not clear if finder comments, aliases or custom metadata are the best choice). Is it possible to have as simple a script as possible that can automate the operations?