WiFi Sync Broken?

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
stburrow

WiFi Sync Broken?

Post by stburrow »

I have recently purchased a 2020 iPad Pro (not the newer M1 chip iPad Pro) and installed Bookends iOS on it. I have purchased/subscribed to the in-app upgrades for this app. I am running the most current version of iOS on this new tablet, as well as the most current versions of Bookends on my MacBook Pro 2018. The MacBook Pro is running MacOS 11 'Big Sur' and is fully updated.

Recently I have tried to return to my writing activities and I find that Bookends iOS will not synchronize to my MacBook Pro through local WiFi like it used to on my former iPad Pro. I have tried reinstalling the app on the new iPad, but the MacBook Bookends generally refuses to 'see' the new iPad when I attempt to resynchronize the two libraries. I was able to get a seemingly normal synchronization once by connecting the iPad Pro to the Mac with a USB C data cable, but even that fails on subsequent attempts on synchronization with freezes and crashes of the Mac app. I really need to sync these two libraries through local wifi, as I have over 7000 references in my Mac library, and I am reluctant to use cloud synch to keep these two machines synchronized. I am 100% certain that both the new iPad and Mac are connected to the same WiFi network in my home. This used to work just fine on my older iPad Pro. I looked at the online WiFi synch troubleshooting instructions in the iOS Bookends guide, but they seemed to be for a much earlier version of Mac OS and I couldn't really follow how that I was supposed to create a temporary local network on Big Sur. Is this problem with WiFi synch a known issue, and is there anything else that you could suggest to fix this problem?
Serge

Re: WiFi Sync Broken?

Post by Serge »

First of all please try to restart your Mac and Wi-Fi router (some users reported that it’s helpful when devices can’t find each other on the same network).

Also you can try to relink your libraries.

On macOS:
Bookends -> File Menu -> Wi-Fi Synced iOS Devices -> Remove your linked libraries from the list.

On iOS: on the next sync do “Change Library”.
BOT WiFi Sync Change Library.png
BOT WiFi Sync Change Library.png (46.01 KiB) Viewed 9786 times
stburrow

Post by stburrow »

I cycled the power on my router and everything snapped back to normal. I was able to perform a WiFi sync with the new iPad Pro with no problems. Thanks!
ConnorSharp

Post by ConnorSharp »

stburrow wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:04 pm I cycled the power on my router and everything snapped back to normal. I was able to perform a WiFi sync with the new iPad Pro with no problems. Thanks!
Thx you for replay! Was similar problem! Helped!!
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

I'm trying to sync BE iOS on my iPhone with MacOS. It's been a while since I last used BE iOS. The problem is that the option you provided is greyed out. That is, File - WiFi Synced iOS Devices...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The synced devices menu isn't used for wifi sync itself, it's a list of previously synced devices (and disabled since you have none).

Please see p. 296 of the User Guide.

Jon
Sonny Software
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

Thanks, but what I need is to find how-to sync with WiFi. My iPhone has the same network, but it's not showing in the lower left panel of devices. I ticked "Look for BE on iOS in iOS devices" under Preferences
Serge

Post by Serge »

Please check that "Local Network" is enabled for Bookends on iOS.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5613