Utility question

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
dtoub

Utility question

Post by dtoub »

I use Bookends on my Mac to generate PubMed search results once a month, and then output those to a text file (RTF, which I then convert to .docx) for dissemination. I am planning to be overseas late next month for a prolonged period and do not wish to take my MBP if at all possible, but will still need to do a PubMed search, get the attachments if possible, and most importantly generate that .docx file. So if I were to use Bookends on iOS, would the following be possible:
  • Do a search of PubMed with the same criteria as I currently have in Mac Bookends? (I can certainly recreate the criteria)
  • Add specific results of that search to a specific folder in my Bookends library and have it sync back to my Mac via iCloud? (I assume the answer is yes)
  • Output the references in that same folder to .docx in Ref+Abstract format?
I should also mention that currently, attachments are in a folder in Dropbox and my libraries are also on my computer (as is the attachments folder) but that folder with the libraries currently get synced with Dropbox. Would I have to place the libraries somewhere that is not synced with Dropbox? Will it then see all my old Attachments and still link to them if I instead move the Attachments folder to iCloud?

I did review the online help on this but wanted to clarify. Thanks!
DrJJWMac

Re: Utility question

Post by DrJJWMac »

How are you getting access to the attachments? If through a proxy protocol, you may need to assure that you can use that protocol when you are overseas.

As to the other questions, have you tried using Bookends iOS to see whether you can or cannot?

--
JJW
--
JJW
dtoub

Post by dtoub »

DrJJWMac wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:17 pm How are you getting access to the attachments? If through a proxy protocol, you may need to assure that you can use that protocol when you are overseas.

As to the other questions, have you tried using Bookends iOS to see whether you can or cannot?

--
JJW
Good question about access overseas, but I suspect it would work as it does here. Regardless, attachment download or not, I'm interested in understanding if my needs would be met by the iOS version of Bookends. I haven't downloaded it because I'd like to find out first if it will do what I need it to do before buying ;-)
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

> Good question about access overseas, but I suspect it would work as it does here.

If you are getting access to restricted articles through a service such as a university proxy, what works here will not work over there.

> ... because I'd like to find out first if it will do what I need it to do before buying

The first two questions are addressed in the documentation (... answers: yes ...)

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/bookendsontap/docs/

Citations can be exported to local or cloud folders in text format. Conversion to .docx is up to you.

--
JJW
--
JJW
dtoub

Post by dtoub »

Thank you. I just use PubMed so no proxy is involved.

So if I understand it correctly, I would need to have my library file in a folder that is not linked to Dropbox, move my Attachments folder to iCloud and change the preferences. Would everything then be correctly linked? Thanks.
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

> Thank you. I just use PubMed so no proxy is involved.

Let me rephrase. If you are getting access to restricted PDF files (attachments) through a service such as a university proxy, what works here will not work overseas.

> So if I understand it correctly, I would need to have my library file in a folder that is not linked to Dropbox, move my Attachments folder to iCloud and change the preferences. Would everything then be correctly linked? Thanks.

Most likely.

But of course, the only real proof is to test it all yourself.

--
JJW
--
JJW
dtoub

Post by dtoub »

I'm testing now with a small non-critical library I moved to a non-cloud folder. But getting Bookends to display in iCloud is what I'm working on now (unlinked my mac to iCloud drive then relinked so it's setting up now in the Finder). Let's hope. Thanks.
dtoub

Post by dtoub »

the Bookends folder is not visible within iCloud drive on my mac after re-adding iCloud drive via system preferences (and I did attach PDFs to selected references to try to make it visible). That might make this not feasible with using Bookmarks for iOS; sorry.