iOS<>macOS PDF Annotation Sync

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
wuenschi

iOS<>macOS PDF Annotation Sync

Post by wuenschi »

Hi there: When I highlight text, add notes or do other annotations in Bookends on macOS, they are not synchronised to the iOS PDF. In my setup iOS and macOS share one iCloud library. Is this intended?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: iOS<>macOS PDF Annotation Sync

Post by Jon »

Did you set up the iCloud PDF attachment folder, too? That's where the PDFs belong. They aren't stored in the Bookends database.

Please read the instructions carefully about setting up this special sync folder.

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/bookendsontap/cloudsync/

If you think it's set up correctly and the PDFs still don't sync use File.app on your iPad to see if the PDFs are actually in the sync folder.

Jon
Sonny Software
wuenschi

Post by wuenschi »

Thank you for answering: Yes my setup seems to be correct and I see the attachments in Files.App.

What now happened ist the following: I added Notes and stuff on macOS -> they are not transferred to iOS -> now I add Notes in iOS -> they get transferred to macOS an OVERWRITE my previous changes.

Can Bookends merge the changes?

Thanx, Röbbe.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends isn't actually doing anything. PDFs are synced by iCloud Drive, not Bookends. Bookends (on both Mac and iOS) just know the names of the PDFs, not their content. Maybe for some reason you macOS iCloud Drive isn't uploading the PDF to the cloud, or if it is it's taking it's time. I'll ask Serge if he has any comment about this.

Jon
Sonny Software
Serge

Post by Serge »

Please send your PDF with annotations from Bookends for Mac to support@referencesontap.com.