A couple of problems

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
kga1978

A couple of problems

Post by kga1978 »

Hi,

I have been using BOT extensively and run into a couple of problems:

1. I download a new reference on BOT, sync to BE and add the PDF. I then sync back to BOT, but the new attachment isn't synced.
2. I download a new reference on BOT, sync to BE and change the label of the reference so it now belongs to a different smart group. I then sync back to BOT - the reference is now in the new smart group, but it isn't labeled (e.g. if the label is red in BE, it doesn't have any label at all in BOT).
3. I uncheck one of the groups that I usually sync with BOT (usually smart groups) when performing the sync on BE. When I return to BOT, the smart group is no longer there, but the references can still be found under 'All'. There appears to be no way for me to get rid of these references - other than deleting the entire BOT database and start from scratch.
4. I download a new reference on BOT and sync to BE. The new reference is now in BE, but the naming of the journal is wrong. In BE I have it set to 'abbreviated', but the journal title I get from BOT is the full-length journal name.
5. The sorting of groups and smart groups on BOT are different than those in BE - there is no way for me to sort groups in BOT. Please give us this ability via an 'edit' button or similar.

Problems 1-3 are really frustrating and due to problem 3, there appears to be no way of correcting these bugs. I had assumed I could correct 1 and 2 by unchecking the relevant smart groups, sync back to BOT and hereby delete these references from BOT. I could then recheck the smart groups and sync back to BOT. Whilst far from optimal, I can't even do that because of #3 - there is seemingly no way for me to delete references from BOT without having to wipe the entire database (I even think I had to uninstall and reinstall the app to do this).

Any thoughts? Other than that, I really like BOT - obviously we need the ability to annotate PDFs in a future version ;-).
Last edited by kga1978 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kga1978

Re: A couple of problems

Post by kga1978 »

Let me just add to #3 - even when moving individual references out of smart groups, there is seemingly no way for me to get rid of these references in BOT - the attachments and everything are still there
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You know that the forums are not for tech support.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2983

If you think you have found bugs or inconsistent behavior, contact tech support (support@sonnysoftware.com or our Support page).

I will comment here on #4. You can't "set" Bookends to enter a journal's full or abbreviated name on import from BOT or any other source. I'm not even sure what you are referring to. The closest thing I can think of is a setting in preferences to determine form of a journal's name to substitute for the user-defined abbreviation when using a journal glossary and manually entering data from the keyboard. That setting has no affect on imported, or synced, references. In any case, the form of the journal name in the reference is irrelevant if you are using a journal glossary -- you tell Bookends which form to use in the format (j vs. f).

Jon
Sonny Software
Serge

Post by Serge »

Thanks for the feedback.
Can't reproduce the problem #1.
#2 will be fixed.
About #3 we will think what can we do.
#5 -- please follow the steps described in the section "Sorting Group Contents" in the User Guide.