Sync problems on large wireless network

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
danad

Sync problems on large wireless network

Post by danad »

When I initially purchesed BOT, I tried syncing it at home on a private wireless network. No problems at all.

But now that I'm back at university, I can't get BE and BOT to see each other. The university network has multiple wireless access points and multiple subnets running. I can be in the same room, and have my laptop and my iPad connected to different subnets (example 111.222.333.x and 111.222.555.y) at the same time! Even when I do get them onto what seems to be the same access point (ex. 123.456.789.x and 123.456.789.y on the same router) they still can't see each other.

From looking around the net for solutions, I can see that this is a general problem with wireless syncing and not specifically related to Bookends, however, it really nullifies the utility of BOT. I know that I can set up an ad-hoc personal network, but even that required me to go in and manually set an IP address to get them to see each other. It also adds enough steps and time that it's not something I want to do on an ongoing basis.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has found a fix or workaround for this.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Sync problems on large wireless network

Post by Jon »

You don't need to set up an ip address to create a private network. Just go to the Airport icon in the menubar and choose Create Network. Give it a name and you're done. In BOT, tell it to use that network. Now you should be able to sync at work.

I'm also curious to hear if anyone has another solution.

Jon
Sonny Software
elizabethvc

Post by elizabethvc »

Wow, THIS is a useful workaround - I too have been suffering the same problem, and only syncing from home. I'm going to give this a try.
EmmaGale

Post by EmmaGale »

I am having trouble with this. I created a network under the airport icon, and I told my iPad to connect to that network in settings. Bookends still would not sync though. Am I doing this correctly?
Serge

Post by Serge »

Do you use firewall on your Mac?
Please add Bookends to the list of allowed apps or turn off firewall for testing.

Do you see the devices list in Bookends? Passcode window?
EmmaGale

Post by EmmaGale »

I don't use the firewall on my Mac, and I checked that it was off just in case. I see nothing in Bookends. In BOT, it displays the message "Connecting to Bookends Library" but nothing actually happens.
Serge

Post by Serge »

Please take a look at the user guide, "Sync References and Attachments With Bookends On The Mac" section, for sync with Bookends:
http://www.sonnysoftware.com/bookendsontap/docs/
If it doesn't help, please write to me: serge gmail.com
EmmaGale

Post by EmmaGale »

Thank you, I tried emailing you by putting @ between serge and gmail and my message was returned. I have read the syncing guidelines, and have no problems at home. Sometimes it will sync at work, but usually not (over a large wireless network).
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

The email address looks to have been mangled somehow. Try

bookendsontap@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software