Importing Smart Groups

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
mchapman

Importing Smart Groups

Post by mchapman »

There is reference in the documentation to smart groups “Imported from Bookends.”

I understand that such groups will become static groups on Bookends on Tap. How do I import them? Will they be changed with any changes to the group in Bookends at the next sync?

Thanks,

Mark
Serge

Re: Importing Smart Groups

Post by Serge »

Smart groups transferred from Bookends to Bookends On Tap will be updated on the device if the members change in Bookends (i.e. if references are added or removed from the smart group). Smart groups will be transferred to Bookends On Tap only if you have selected “Selected groups” and have checked one or more smart groups. The more smart groups you check, the longer the sync will take.
mchapman

Post by mchapman »

Sorry, I seem to be missing something.

How do I transfer smart groups to Bookends on Tap?

Where do I choose “Selected Groups”?
Serge

Post by Serge »

Please see our user guide - "Sync all references or just selected groups" section.
http://www.sonnysoftware.com/bookendsontap/docs/
mchapman

Post by mchapman »

I am sorry I was not clear enough.

I read that section but I didn’t know how to see that dialogue. Syncing works fine but when the sync happens I do not see a dialogue that lets me choose what to sync.

However, I did figure out the problem. Somewhere along the line I turned on Autosync in Bookends On Tap which removes the dialogue from Bookends.

Thanks, Mark
mchapman

Post by mchapman »

Hmmm. Maybe I don’t understand what is going on.

I want to sync all my references and have both my static groups and my smart groups available on my iPad. I can’t seem to figure out how to do that.
Serge

Post by Serge »

That is not currently supported, but I will look what can we do.
mchapman

Post by mchapman »

That explains my problem. Much thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

For now, try making a smart group "All BOT" (or whatever) in Bookends and have it find all reference (something like "where title is not empty", or whatever you know will find all). Then when you sync only groups, all references will sync.

Jon
Sonny Software
mchapman

Post by mchapman »

Great Idea! I will do that. Thanks.
ZC1ifi

Post by ZC1ifi »

+1 for support/import of (smart) groups in BOT (Jon's workaround works but should not be necessary. I too was somewhat baffled when I could not select the various groups when importing EXCEPT when I choose a group import only).
Farcas

Post by Farcas »

So is there a way to sync smart groups without clicking on each smart group individually during sync? And I don't just need the references but the groups/folders they're in. Is this possible via Jon's workaround?

Thanks!
Serge

Post by Serge »

You can see all Bookends Smart groups in the Smart Groups section, please see attachment.
But without folders and hierarchy. And you shouldn’t re-select smart groups each time, the Sync dialog will remember your last groups selection.
Attachments
bookendssmartgroups.png
bookendssmartgroups.png (26.43 KiB) Viewed 16702 times