JSTOR in Bookends On Tap

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
NilsMS

JSTOR in Bookends On Tap

Post by NilsMS »

In Bookends On Tap the associated pdf-files show up fine in pubmed or arXiv, but not in JSTOR (which is a pity, of course). Additionally, I seem to get other hits when searching JSTOR in Bookends and Bookends On Tap. Is this expected behaviour or am I missing something?

Any advice is highly appreciated,

Nils
Serge

Re: JSTOR in Bookends On Tap

Post by Serge »

1. On the JSTOR page tap on the "View PDF", you will see "JSTOR Terms and Conditions", accept them.
2. Do you use Bookends Browser? Web search gives more search results then the API based search (used in BOT).
NilsMS

Post by NilsMS »

Serge wrote:1. On the JSTOR page tap on the "View PDF", you will see "JSTOR Terms and Conditions", accept them.
2. Do you use Bookends Browser? Web search gives more search results then the API based search (used in BOT).
Thanks for the feedback!

ad 1. I cannot see this option in BOT. There seems to be a bug, because the whole icon bar is not displayed as shown in the User Guide as I have realized just now. When I choose a reference, I have a glimpse of the icons for some miliseconds, and then they disappear. This happens on an iphone (IOS 6 as well as 7) (no problems with an ipad). Shall I send a screenshot to support?

ad 2. Thanks for the information, I did not realize this.

Cheers,

Nils
Serge

Post by Serge »

Yes, please send it to: bookendsontap@sonnysoftware.com
NilsMS

Post by NilsMS »

I am still puzzled by the differences between the different ways of searching JSTOR. Searching for "bow arrow warfare" in BOT gives me no result; looking for the same combination in the Bookends JSTOR search yields 186 hits (many, if not all as duplicates) and, finally, on JSTOR website I get 3951 results. This is quite disconcerting and for me severely limits the usefulness of searching JSTOR from within Bookends, especially as there does not seem to exist an easy way to transfer references from JSTOR website to BOT.
Is there any chance that this behaviour will be more consistent in the near future?

Cheers,

Nils
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The JSTOR direct searches use their APIs, which are not the same as the browser searches. The differences in results you see have nothing to do with Bookends, they're the results that JSTOR sends back depending on how the requests are made (Bookends doesn't actually do the search, it just submits the request to JSTOR of course). You can search JSTOR in Bookends Browser and import the results from there -- the results should be the same as using Safari.

There are conceivably additional issues because JSTOR has different levels of search privileges. This level of complexity is imposed by JSTOR, not Bookends.

Jon
Sonny Software
NilsMS

Post by NilsMS »

Jon wrote:The JSTOR direct searches use their APIs, which are not the same as the browser searches. The differences in results you see have nothing to do with Bookends, they're the results that JSTOR sends back depending on how the requests are made (Bookends doesn't actually do the search, it just submits the request to JSTOR of course). You can search JSTOR in Bookends Browser and import the results from there -- the results should be the same as using Safari.
Thanks for the explanation. I am still looking for the best workflow ...

Cheers,

Nils