pdfs that crash BoT, pdfs that won't allow annotation

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
nicka

pdfs that crash BoT, pdfs that won't allow annotation

Post by nicka »

Some pdfs that I have from one particular journal have problems in BoT:
1) selecting text brings up only Copy and Define as options, not the various annotation tools, so there's no way to add an annotation.
2) I had already added some annotations to that pdf in Preview on the Mac, but those do not show up in Bookends on Tap.
3) With some but not all pdfs from this journal, the pdf takes a very long time to display in BoT. There is a spinning wheel at the bottom the screen, but nothing else for several minutes. Once these pdfs do finally open, they have problem 1 above.

Are these known issues with some pdfs? Is there a fix? I'm not sure what information about the pdf would be helpful in diagnosis, but Get Info lists the encoding software for one of them as 'Mac OS X 10.8.5 Quartz PDFContext'; nothing listed there for another of them. They are not particularly large: around 1MB and 20-40 pages.

Some more data: the pdfs open quickly and annotate fine in Preview on the Mac, but the ones that are slow to open in BoT also cause a long delay in opening in iBooks.

iOS 6; latest version of BoT.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: pdfs that crash BoT, pdfs that won't allow annotation

Post by Jon »

Your last comment about iBooks is probably revealing. But I'll let Serge comment on this.

Jon
Sonny Software
Serge

Post by Serge »

Please send me a few pdfs for checking.
bookendsontap@sonnysoftware.com
nicka

Post by nicka »

Thanks Jon and Serge for your replies. I've sent sample pdfs to you, Serge.

The problem opening in iBooks does seem significant. I suppose these pdfs are probably slightly malformed, although in a way that Preview doesn't mind. I don't know to what extent you control the parsing and display of pdfs in BoT, so I don't know how much use it is for you to know about these kinds of things. I hope it's some help.

I didn't have time to test this earlier, but I've just found out that printing to pdf in Preview from the pdf with problem one produces a pdf that doesn't have the problem.