Feature Request: Custom to Recent Colours

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
Cassady

Feature Request: Custom to Recent Colours

Post by Cassady »

Hello all,

I do plenty of annotation on the iPad. My standard annotator remains Goodreader, since it is one of the few that allows the custom selection of colours, for highlighting purposes.

By way of background, I use seven colours that each mean something else in my articles. I jump between three of them, all the time, and then occasionally use the other 4, for specific purposes [Red = crucial point; Purple = to quote etc.] And I have been using those colours for a prolonged period of time now (in the world of paper and highlighter!), so when I started annotating on the Mac, and iPad, they came along with me.
I might be an edge-case, but I have stumbled across others who do the same.

Regardless - imagine my joy at discovering that the highlight feature in BoT, allows for the setting of custom colours!
Given how stable and quick the sync is, this could see BoT become my new standard, since it makes so much more sense to keep the Mac and iPad client, "in-house", so to speak.

Feature-request:

The one thing that could make all the difference in the above scenario, is if the colour selector menu, were to "remember" the last used colours.
By this I mean, as it stands, the black colour on the extreme right [adjacent to Custom"] is never going to be used by me.
The other colours coincidentally are aligned with what I use, with the exception of Orange, which I can add with the Custom.

The next time I come back to the colour menu, Black is Back, and Orange is gone. Which means I need to repeat the process. If the 6-selection colours that appears initially, could "remember" the last used, and be 'active', in the sense that they get cycled through, as the colours are used, that would be very, very useful.

By example, Goodreader displays 14(?) of the most recently used colours. That's overkill, but it's very useful. The last-used 7 colours are displayed on the bottom row, closest to the menu popup - which is perfect for my needs.
But were BoT to allow for the cycle of last used, that would be equally as usable.
Not sure if this can be done easily enough - but would be amazing if it could!

A last thought - this shouldn't interfere too much with other users, since they would (presumably) just keep tapping the 'standard' colours, and nothing would necessarily change - unless they invoked Custom, which in any event then suggests they want something else...

Would appreciate some thoughts on whether this would be possible?
Serge

Re: Feature Request: Custom to Recent Colours

Post by Serge »

This sounds like it would be a useful addition. We’ll explore it and see what’s possible.
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Serge wrote:This sounds like it would be a useful addition. We’ll explore it and see what’s possible.
Fantastic! Here's hoping it's doable! 8)
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Serge wrote:This sounds like it would be a useful addition. We’ll explore it and see what’s possible.
Hi Serge - hate to be "that" person, but just want to follow-up to hear if the above is still open for consideration.

Recently took the plunge on an iPad Pro - and with Scrivener for iOS seemingly being imminent, together with DevonthinkToGo 2 slowly moving its way to possible completion (at some point! :? ), having BoT become a realistic annotation option, would be fantastic!
Serge

Post by Serge »

Such a feature will require changes in the PDF component that we use that haven’t been implemented yet.