Request: Open/move in Extensions (+ better Apple Pencil support)

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
talazem

Request: Open/move in Extensions (+ better Apple Pencil support)

Post by talazem »

Hello. I'm using BOT on a 12.9 iPad Pro, and would like to be able to open a PDF in other PDF editing apps, make my changes, and then return to BOT and find the changes made. My understanding is that this is possible if the app developer has implemented the open/move aspects of Apple's documentation picker extension, and not only "copy to" (export). I would like to request this as a feature.

(The reason I am requesting this is that while BOT allows me to annotate my PDFs with the Apple Pencil, it doesn't seem to distinguish between pencil marks and marks made by my finger/palm. This probably means that BOT hasn't yet fully implemented all the features of the Pro's Pencil recognition. This is requiring me to open the PDF in other PDF applications that support this better, but of course the problem is that there is no way to send that PDF back to the particular record/reference that it was originally attached to. If BOT had better support for the Pencil, I might not necessarily need to send the PDF elsewhere for annotating, though I think it would still be a good to support "open/move" and not just "copy to".)

Thank you.
Serge

Re: Request: Open/move in Extensions (+ better Apple Pencil support)

Post by Serge »

We hope to have greatly improved PDF engine with better Apple Pencil support and the Split Screen mode at the latest by the release of iOS 10 (usually Sept-Oct).

But you should be able to send annotated pdf back to BOT. Bookends On Tap will usually guess the right reference to attach to if the file name is the same.
http://www.sonnysoftware.com/bookendsontap/styled-2/
talazem

Post by talazem »

Thank you, Serge, indeed the round trip worked well. This will serve fine until the upcoming update. Many thanks.
ssseeerrr

Post by ssseeerrr »

There's another way to do this depending on where you store your main BE attachments folder. For example, if your main BE attachment folder is in either Dropbox, Box or the like, and you have the app for those file sync services on your iPad, then you can just locate the PDF by author's name in the Dropbox app, rather than BOT. Then open it from Dropbox in the PDF viewer of your choice and work on it.

Any annotations are synced back via Dropbox to BE and in turn to BOT. It's all automatic, no renaming or saving.

Ahmed :wink: