Feature Request - Backup

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
joao

Feature Request - Backup

Post by joao »

Hi,

This is a feature request for better attachment backups with BOT.
It is also a feature request for an FAQ on Bookends and BOT attachment annotations backups.

From my understanding, the current version of BOT uses the IOS built-in backup. This isn't really adequate for the following reasons:
a) We can do a full backup of the ipad to the computer through itunes connected via usb. However, this backs up all the attachments in the library (in my case over 16gb), which wastes a lot of space and is redundant (since we should already have the Bookends attachments folder backing up in a cloud sync folder of some kind) in the same laptop.
b) We can do a full backup of the attachments in BOT via IOS cloud backups. This isn't really the best option considering the measly 5gb of free space Apple provides.
c) Apple provides a way to only backup the 'most important data' (not sure how their API defines this), via IOS cloud backups. This is what I use. However, I have turned of BOT backup from the list, since I noticed IOS tries to back up the entire attachment folder as well.

Proposal:
Either:
a) Have an option in BOT to backup either all attachments or only modified or new attachments.
b) Have BOT automatically make that choice depending on whether the user chose in IOS preferences to do a full cloud backup or only 'most important data'.

The main reason for this feature request is twofold. Firstly, the user may be away from his computer for a long time, and end up having a large number of annotations in several attachments that can only be backed up to the cloud. Secondly, to protect said attachments from possible syncing issues with Bookends. I once had an issue (could not reproduce), where the Bookends attachment replaced the BOT attachment during a sync (and lost all my annotations in the process). This particular attachment was annotated using only BOT.

As for a Bookends backup FAQ:
This refers to both Bookends and BOT. The questions I would like answered are the following:
- Annotations done outside Bookends get backed up via the user's standard backup workflow (i.e. they are part of the attachment file itself).
- Annotations done inside Bookends. Do they write to the pdf or do they only write to the database? If the latter, do they get backed up to iCloud (I presume so). If the latter, can we have Bookends write the annotations back to the pdf?
- Annotations done inside BOT. Same question as above.

One more feature request:
- There are a number of issues and misunderstandings in the current Bookends and BOT. It would be great if we could have a sticky thread/note on the forum with these issues and any workarounds while they're not fixed, or just to help users not have to search through potentially outdated threads in the forum.

Bookends so far has been behaving very well (except for that minor lost annotations hickup).
Thanks,
Joao
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request - Backup

Post by Jon »

This really would be better as multiple posts. I'll let Serge answer about backing up BOT.

As for pdf annotations, Bookends writes to the PDF, it doesn't store any annotation data in the database (you can of course import the annotation data into the database, and then it exists in two places, the PDF and the database). BOT also writes to the PDF.

I disagree with having a single sticky thread dealing with issues users are having. That's what this forum is for, and it is absolutely necessary that each issue have it's own subject and theme. Your post is a case in point -- there are multiple issues crammed into one post, and it would be nearly impossible for a user a year from now to find anything but your comments about backup.

Jon
Sonny Software
Serge

Post by Serge »

With the new cloud sync all files will be placed outside of the app sandbox folder, and I think this folder will not be backed up by the system.
joao

Post by joao »

Jon,
Thanks for explaining how Bookend and BoT handle the annotations. I'll try to keep posts more on point in future (a bit hard when the subject deals with how Bookends and BoT integrate together).
Serge,
Thanks for the explanation on the future BoT backup system. This is much better.
It would be great if only edited pdfs were backed up however (via the ipad backup for example - something like saving a copy of edited files inside the sandbox folder?).
I also hope that you may find a way to prevent data loss during typical BoT/Bookends sync (by keeping an attachment history/versioning perhaps, that can be cleaned/pruned when the user feels everything is ok). I really don't know how it happened with me as I haven't been able to reproduce.

Looking forward to the new BoT.
Joao
Serge

Post by Serge »

"Do Not Back Up Attachments" option was added in Settings for Bookends v3.1.
Setting it to YES will mark the whole Attachments folder as excluded from being backed up by the System.
Please use this option if you really know that you can always get your attachments back from Bookends via Wi-Fi Sync.