Bookends for iOS released

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
Jon
Site Admin

Bookends for iOS released

Post by Jon »

If you are using Bookends On Tap now or just interested in using Bookends on an iOS device, please see this announcement.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4174

Jon
Sonny Software
Cassady

Re: Bookends for iOS released

Post by Cassady »

Great news Jon!

Could you please confirm the best way to transition?

Can we keep the original BoT version, and simply start syncing with the new version? Or would it be better to remove the original, and only sync with the new app?
Serge

Post by Serge »

Both apps can be used at the same time (but it will take x2 space to hold your attachments).
If you don’t need to sync some selected groups only or some Bookends smart groups it’s better to start using the new version (it syncs ALL your local groups and folders except Bookends smart via cloud).
apap

Post by apap »

Great news on the new BoT.

I am using Box.net for all my pdfs and I have my bookends library in the Box cloud. Am I right in assuming that with the new BoT I can only sync attachments via iCloud? If so, I will now need two subscriptions (one for BoT and one for iCloud). Is there a way to sync with the new BoT without using iCloud?

Edit: I have now subscribed for more storage with iCloud. I have set iCloud in preferences for storage. Nothing seems to be happening...How will I transfer my attachments from their initial location to iCloud?

Thanks,

Andreas
Last edited by apap on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No, at this time you need to use iCloud. But you can also use iCloud for syncing your desktop PDFs, too. Set your Bookends for Mac default attachment folder to the folder in iCloud Drive (via Preferences in 12.7.7) and you'll have one set of PDFs on your HD and in the cloud that are accessible by both Bookends for Mac and Bookends for iOS. Don't use Box.net for this particular purpose.

Jon
Sonny Software
apap

Post by apap »

Serge,

I case you didn't see my previous edit (as we posted concurrently)

I have set iCloud in preferences for storage. Nothing seems to be happening...How will I transfer my attachments from their initial location to iCloud? Do I need to press the "Remove from arbitrary attachment folders"? I just want to make sure that I don't loose 20Gb worth of pdfs!

Thanks, A
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can do this in the Finder. Drag and drop the PDF from the older folder to the new Bookends folder in iCloud Drive (it should have the Bookends icon on it).

I think you can also have Bookends do this for you with Global Change -> Consolidate Attachments. Select the iCloud Drive Bookends folder as the destination. You might try it with a selected reference first. It works for me.

Jon
Sonny Software
apap

Post by apap »

Jon,

I tried the drag and drop but this resulted in two attachments per reference (one active and one not).

The Global Change -> Consolidate Attachments worked fine for a few references so I decided to do it for all references. Most of my references got transferred successfully to the iCloud folder though some did not. More importantly, new BoT has synced many of the pdfs but many are missing (and not just those that weren't transferred to the iCloud). Even the sync appears to be complete in BoT (when I press the sync button it starts and stops immediately) many references are missing attachments. Any ideas how I can get the missing attachments in BoT synced. Moreover, is there a way to identify which references have not synced properly the attachments? It's important to know that you have all attachments with you and ready when needed.

Thanks,

Andreas
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Right-click on the reference list and choose "Select references with orphaned attachments" to see which references have attachments that can't be found.

Jon
Sonny Software
Serge

Post by Serge »

Andreas, please go to the "Bookends" folder in iCloud Drive for iOS. Do you see all your attachments there? Are all of them in the root folder (without subfolders)?
Sync button in BOT syncs references only. All attachments are synced by iOS, so if you have a big library it should take some time until they appear in your iCloud Drive. If you see that files are there but BOT still doesn't show them please contact me directly: bookendsontap@sonnysoftware.com
apap

Post by apap »

Thanks Jon and Serge,

All attachments are in the root folder of Bookends in iCloud and it seems that my ios devices are gradually being populated. I have a very large library so that may be the reason it is taking some time.

I am noticing now that most attachments that weren't transferred to iCloud were duplicates so I am gradually removing them. Some however were not moved and I am reattaching them.

If I have any other issues I will get back.

Andreas
talazem

Post by talazem »

I *think* my keeping iCloud Drive on my iPad open helped the syncing move along on the iOS side. And I've also noticed that sometimes you have to click on a reference twice, in Bookends for iOS, before the PDF populates the top right corner.
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

What should I do if there is no Bookends folder in my iCloud Drive?

Edit: To clarify, I followed the instructions for signing in to iCloud in Bookends (which I purchased from SonnySoftware, not the MAS). My library synced to the cloud and to my various other devices flawlessly. I'd like to sync my attachments as well, so I changed the attachment folder to "iCloud folder for iOS sync", created a new reference, and attached a document. It was moved successfully to /Users/[MyUserName]/Library/Mobile Documents/iCloud~com~sonnysoftware~bot/Documents, but is listed as "Ineligible" to be uploaded to the cloud. The file is 18.3 MB.
Serge

Post by Serge »

If there is no Bookends folder in iCloud Drive on Mac, but it's there in iCloud Drive on iOS please download this helper app.
It will create a temporary file (can be deleted after) in that folder forcing macOS to show it.
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

Thank you, Serge. I will try that. However, I should note that the Bookends folder doesn't show up in iCloud Drive on iOS or macOS.