Feature Request: WiFi sync

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
lotter

Feature Request: WiFi sync

Post by lotter »

Jon, the new Bookends for iOS is an amazing improvement over the old BoT. Well done!

However, the iCloud-only sync is a problem:
(1) The 50MB limit on attachments seems reasonable until annotation-bloat results in originally small files swelling to well over that limit. (How do we transfer such files?)
(2) The additional cost of iCloud for anyone with a substantial Bookends library (also see PDF bloat, again!)
(3) The stability of the sync is linked to the stability of iCloud (somewhat flakey historically)

Could we please have an option to sync via WiFi as in BoT? Or even to transfer data when the iOS device is physically connected to the Mac hosting the Bookends file? Just not iCloud only.

Thanks
Serge

Re: Feature Request: WiFi sync

Post by Serge »

We are currently working on an update that will add WiFi sync functionality also.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

What Serge said.

Also, note that there are web sites and apps out there that can substantially reduce the size of PDFs (google for many options). It's not something you want to do for every PDF, but for particularly large ones you may find it helpful.

Jon
Sonny Software
lotter

Post by lotter »

Jon, Serge,

Thanks! That is wonderful news.

Jon, Re: PDF compression. I'm not certain it's going to help with annotation bloat. I normally start out with a nice compressed PDF. Annotate nice compressed PDF and you get a bloated PDF. Compression might help in getting the file into BEiOS but what happens when after annotation you get a >50MB file?

No matter: WiFi sync will solve the problem and make me a happy bunny.
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

FWIW - I too will be waiting for the Wifi sync, and will then plunge all-in on the new Bookends. Will gladly through the annual subscription your way then! :D

I'm already on the 200GB iCloud package - but 3/4s of that space is already being taken up by my Photos library. Chucking another 13GBs is going to get me awfully close to my limit, and the jump up to the 1TB iCloud package is still a bit too rich for my liking.

That said, this is obviously a user-issue, and has nothing to do with the new implementation of Bookends, which really does look like it will be all that will be needed to close the loop between my writing (Scrivener), information manager (DevonthinkToGo2) and now - my reference manager! So well done on the implementation!
lotter

Post by lotter »

Just updated to Bookends 3.1 on IOS and the WiFi sync is working flawlessly -- though the initial sync took an age for a large library.

Best Bib Xmas prezzie ever.

Thanks guys!
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Another happy user - +/- 2600 references, +/- 12GBs, all done in under 15 minutes, first time - without issues!

Well done Serge and Jon!