Citation styles

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
Cassady

Citation styles

Post by Cassady »

I'm getting to grips with the copying of citations from BEOT to Scrivener, and just want to check what I suspect is correct.

When tapping on the 'citation' link, I (understandably) cannot find my particular style format listed, since it is rather unique - which is why I needed to build my own format over in BE.

Am I correct in presuming, that the particular format that BEOT uses to paste in the temporary {citation}, is "irrelevant" in the sense that when I perform the scan over on the Mac using BE, all that BE does - is find the {temp citations} and then applies my particular format style to the document?

In other words, the appearance of the {temp citations} pasted in to my Scrivener document from BEOT will 'look' slightly different to the {temp citations} pasted from BE, but for all intents and purposes - the effect will be the same once the scan is done?

I apologise for asking something that is no doubt obvious, but would rather have this confirmed before going too far down the road.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Citation styles

Post by Jon »

There is nothing magic about temp citations, with one exception. If the temp citation contains just words, all must be found in the reference to obtain a match. What Bookends and Bookends for iOS can do is try to create an unambiguous citation from the reference fields. You can type them in from the keyboard actually, which I highly recommend for writing on-the-fly. The exception is that if you include a unique id (e.g. #45243), it overrides the text and Bookends tries to match the citation with the reference having that id.

So, it doesn't matter if the temp citation from iOS is slightly different from that from Bookends as long as both unambiguously point to the same reference.

Jon
Sonny Software
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Jon wrote:There is nothing magic about temp citations, with one exception. If the temp citation contains just words, all must be found in the reference to obtain a match. What Bookends and Bookends for iOS can do is try to create an unambiguous citation from the reference fields. You can type them in from the keyboard actually, which I highly recommend for writing on-the-fly. The exception is that if you include a unique id (e.g. #45243), it overrides the text and Bookends tries to match the citation with the reference having that id.

So, it doesn't matter if the temp citation from iOS is slightly different from that from Bookends as long as both unambiguously point to the same reference.

Jon
Sonny Software
Thanks Jon - good to know!

Just to be clear - is there a way in BEoT to copy/paste that unique ID, as opposed to doing it manually?

I prefer the 'safety' of the ID over on the Mac/BE, since it really helps in reducing the possibility of getting citation sources mixed up.
Serge

Post by Serge »

There are two possible variants for temporary citations in Bookends for iOS:

1. The reference is created by BOT and was never synced with Bookends for Mac.
In this case this reference will not have unique id and the temporary citation will look like this:

{Clarke et al., 2016, BMC Vet Res, 13}

2. The reference was synced with Bookends for Mac (via cloud or wi-fi sync). In this case unique id is created by Bookends for Mac and synced with cloud, so BOT sees it and creates this temporary citation:

{Clarke et al., 2016, #35215}

So, you can’t copy/paste the unique id directly but if it presents BOT will use it in the temporary citation.
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Serge wrote:There are two possible variants for temporary citations in Bookends for iOS:

1. The reference is created by BOT and was never synced with Bookends for Mac.
In this case this reference will not have unique id and the temporary citation will look like this:

{Clarke et al., 2016, BMC Vet Res, 13}

2. The reference was synced with Bookends for Mac (via cloud or wi-fi sync). In this case unique id is created by Bookends for Mac and synced with cloud, so BOT sees it and creates this temporary citation:

{Clarke et al., 2016, #35215}

So, you can’t copy/paste the unique id directly but if it presents BOT will use it in the temporary citation.
Hi Serge,

Re 2, I'm not seeing this. I'm using the Wifi-sync option, and have pulled my entire library (with attachments) through to BEoT - but the unique id has not (seemingly?) transferred. When I hit 'citation', or 'share >citation', I am only presented with the {Clarke et al., 2016, BMC Vet Res, 13} version.

Reading what you said though, I presume it's the iCloud sync that causes the unique id to be generated in BEoT? I am NOT syncing through iCloud, but am simply using the new BEoT with the wifi sync, similar to how the 1st BEoT worked. Is that the issue?
If so - that's fine. I will make do as is.
Serge

Post by Serge »

Looks like a bug, we will check it and let you know.
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Serge wrote:Looks like a bug, we will check it and let you know.
Appreciate it, Serge!
Serge

Post by Serge »

The uniqueID field used in temporary citations is now properly synced via Bookends Wi-Fi sync (please use the latest versions v12.7.8 and v3.1.1).
But all already synced references should be resynced (just references, so it’s fast), to do this please do the following:
1. Bookends for Mac -> File -> Synced iOS Device Info… -> delete linked iOS library.
2. Bookends for iOS. Start sync. Tap on the "Change Library” and relink both apps.
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

FWIW – all working this side – really appreciate the quick fix!