Book Chapter citation problems in Bookends for iOS

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
kjmatthews

Book Chapter citation problems in Bookends for iOS

Post by kjmatthews »

There seems to be a problem with the way Bookends for iOS renders Book Chapters (called "Book Sections" in Zotero). The output for a book chapter on Bookends for iOS looks like this (problem in MLA 8 highlighted in bold; not familiar enough with APA to do the same):

MLA 8: Agamben, Giogio. “Introducción.” Homo Sacer: El poder soberano y la nuda vida, vol. Homo Sacer: El poder soberano y la nuda vida, Pre-Textos, 2003, pp. 9–23.

APA: Agamben, G. (2003). Introducción. In Homo Sacer: El poder soberano y la nuda vida (Vol. Homo Sacer: El poder soberano y la nuda vida, pp. 9–23). Valencia: Pre-Textos.

In MLA, the comma after the italicized title should be a period, and the rest of the bold text should not be there at all. This error does not occur in the Zotero app when the same information is entered as a Book Section. It seems like the Zotero style in Bookends for iOS is interpreting the reference type "Book Chapter" as some other reference type (I'm not sure which). The error seems to persist throughout all citation formats.

I'm posting this here rather than reporting a bug to find out if a) imported Zotero styles expect the names of reference types to match what they're called by default in Zotero (I suspect that this is the case), and if so, b) is there any way to rename "Book Chapter" to "Book Section" in Bookends for iOS. Renaming reference types in Bookends for macOS doesn't do the trick.

Update: The problem seems to stem from the style wanting to read the "Book Title" field as both book title and volume number. Leaving the "Book TItle" field blank for a Book Chapter results in a citation identical to Book (except that the chapter title is italicized as though it were the book title). I stared at the style markup for a while, but am not sure how to make the problem go away.
Serge

Re: Book Chapter citation problems in Bookends for iOS

Post by Serge »

Bookends sends "chapter" type to csl engine for Book Chapter. Please attach your reference here in RIS format and I will look into it.
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

TY - CHAP
AU - Agamben, Giogio

TI - Introducción
T2 - Introducción

PY - 2003
SP - 9-23
VL - Homo Sacer: El poder soberano y la nuda vida

CY - Valencia
PB - Pre-Textos

ER -

And screenshots from Mac and iPad:

Serge

Post by Serge »

Thanks for the report. The "Book Title" was incorrectly sent as a Volume field to the CSL engine and it should be fixed for the next update (later in April).
Here is the result in the updated version:
citation.png
citation.png (35.22 KiB) Viewed 8804 times
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

Great news. Thank you!
ozean

Post by ozean »

kjmatthews wrote: AU - Agamben, Giogio
Spelling error! That should be Giorgio, with an "r" :)
kjmatthews

Post by kjmatthews »

ozean wrote:
kjmatthews wrote: AU - Agamben, Giogio
Spelling error! That should be Giorgio, with an "r" :)
Curses!
Serge

Post by Serge »

This issue has been fixed in Bookends for iOS 3.2.