Live search, PDF annotation

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
DarrenIngram

Live search, PDF annotation

Post by DarrenIngram »

For some reason the App Store did not show the new version of the application for me as an update (!) despite updating all other apps... so I am late to the party for the "new" and very much improved app.

A couple of questions thus far...

What exactly does "live search" option do / mean ... have not found any descriptive text for it...

Despite the way to use other apps for PDF annotation and reimport, could there be a way in the future to set a preference that would automatically open the chosen application instead of the current process. I note you cannot control the other application's "return" process so that bit remains down to the user.

Thanks, Darren
Serge

Re: Live search, PDF annotation

Post by Serge »

Bookends for iOS is a new app, and unfortunately Apple doesn't allow upgrade paths (from Bookends On Tap).

New features of Bookends for iOS are:
• Cloud Sync.
• Citation creation.
• Updated pdf engine with greatly improve Apple Pencil support.
• Split screen support on iPad.
• Barcode scanning.
• Google Scholar Advanced Search.
• Speed and UI improvements.

---
If your library is very large, searches can take seconds, which makes the live search unwieldy. So, live search can be disabled in Settings or when the search text starts with a space. The search will not being until you tap the Search button.

---
It's possible to communicate with other apps using url scheme, but both apps should define some protocols of communication, and it will be different for every app, so, currently it's not an option.
DarrenIngram

Re: Live search, PDF annotation

Post by DarrenIngram »

Thanks. Once I noticed it I deleted the "old" version, reinstalled and did both in-app upgrades straight away. Very happy so learning the new way of doing things.

Noted re the comment concerning PDF readers. I particularly like "PDF Expert" and its implementation of annotations and Apple Pencil and the whole display/look. It works better for me compared to the in-built tool - no doubt in part too since I use it for other things. If it is not possible to just set an "open with" tool, even considering hard-coding some options if they have a way of firing the up would be welcome and hopefully PDF Expert supports whatever is necessary.

For now, however, your advised way of exporting to and from works.

Thanks, Darren