Question about highlighting

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
perplexed

Re: Question about highlighting

Post by perplexed »

I downloaded the update the other day and was very interested in the mention of notecards. When I first tried highlighting within the annotation environment, I didn't see an option to make a notecard and wondered if I'd misunderstood the version history. When I went back to the overview of the paper, after a few seconds, a notecard appeared, based on the text I'd just highlighted as a test!

This is fantastic! Thank you so much, Jon and Serge! :D

Genuinely, this will hugely change how I use Bookends and may completely change how I read papers... Thanks again, I'm so pleased to see this. :D
Ken

Post by Ken »

I have a question that is (at least partly) related to this topic: do you have plans for upgrading the way pdf-annotation works in bookends? I have tried several times to use Bookends to annotate pdf's, but I always end up in either PDF expert or PDFpen as I find the elementary functions rather cumbersome in Bookends and with very limited options for adding keyboard shortcuts, for example, to highlight in different colours. I also miss an option to view the TOC of the document (it is possible to show thumbnails, but not the TOC). I was happy to notice recently that the context menu from Preview has been added to Bookends (see screenshot). However, it doesn't work (at least for me) at the moment. Clicking one of the colours doesn't affect the selection. But it gave me some hope that you might be working on it.

In my view, a few upgrades to working with pdf's in Bookends could make it (almost) the only app I would need for reading and annotating in my research, so I hope you will consider doing a little work on it.

Thanks,
Ken
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 09.50.26.png
Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 09.50.26.png (132.11 KiB) Viewed 8724 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Did you mean to post this in the Bookends (Mac) forum?

Jon
Sonny Software
Ken

Post by Ken »

Yes, sorry :oops:
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Note that the hierarchical menu you see is created by Catalina, not us, and any selection is handled by the OS. Some work, some don't (like changing the color). Whether that's only supposed to work in Preview or not I don't know, but It's not under our control.

Jon
Sonny Software
martinjp

Post by martinjp »

I have been using the note-taking function in BE iOS (3.5.2). (My procedure is to highlight the text, tap Note, simply tap Done without entering anything in the next box, then tap the document to dismiss the dialog.) I find it very valuable in my workflow.

However, I just upgraded to BE 13.4.3. Now, the notes I had previously synced are no linger visible in BE OS. And I can't get new notes to sync. The attachment appears with the highlights clearly visible, but there is nothing in the Note Stream tab. (Or in the Notes field of the Edit Reference tab.)

:(

Martin