Shortcuts support

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
mk7

Shortcuts support

Post by mk7 »

I briefly mentioned this in another conversation, but thought it deserved its own thread: What are the chances that we can see full-fledged Shortcuts support from Bookends for iOS? This could enable deep automation that would truly make Bookends a power app on iOS, and allow it to communicate with a whole suite of other powerful apps. It might include things like the ability to add/edit PDFs, edit references, export notes/bibliographies/BibTeX files, grabbing links to references, generating temp citations, etc. This seems especially apt right now given all the changes going into iPadOS, and apple’s commitment to the platform and to Shortcut automations.

Of course I understand the difficulty in all this, but I just wanted to put forward the suggestion and note how useful it would be to my workflow and I’m sure to many others’.
Serge

Re: Shortcuts support

Post by Serge »

Yes, it’s a good idea to have a separate thread for Shortcuts. It’s a new topic for us, so it will take time to add some basic features. But please share your suggestions and shortcuts examples here or write to support@referencesontap.com. Thank you.
mk7

Post by mk7 »

Here are the two things which I think would be most useful, in order of importance (there are plenty more, but this would go a long way):

1. Export reference details: including annotations, bookends link, temp citation/full citation, and export citation—i.e. like BibTeX, or whichever format is selected in settings. The idea is, each of these reference items could accessed by Shortcuts, and one could build any number of combinations and workflows that export bibliographies, creates reference notes, ties in with other apps, etc. etc.
2. Export bibliographies (again in specified format), ideally with the ability to manage by a specific group.

If it’s useful, here is an incredible and detailed overview of the updates to Shortcuts in iOS 13: https://www.macstories.net/stories/ios- ... #shortcuts
aroddick

Post by aroddick »

Yes - number 1 would be great!!!
propofol

Post by propofol »

Agree adding shortcuts support would be huge. Many of my colleagues would probably adopt Bookends in this case.