Bets way to enter subtitles in references?

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
mk7

Bets way to enter subtitles in references?

Post by mk7 »

In the reference data, I’d like to be able to include both a title and a subtitle separately, then when it gets exported to bibtex and formatted properly the full “title: subtitle” will come up the first time the reference is cited, but in subsequent references it will only use “title.” Is there an easy way to do this on iOS? When using the Mac, I would designate User4 as the subtitle field in a special export format (not sure if this was the best way, but it worked). But that doesn’t work on iOS because we don’t have that custom export functionality. So, this is all to ask, is there a place where I can put subtitles that will export to bibtex as a subtitle?
mk7

Re: Bets way to enter subtitles in references?

Post by mk7 »

Just upping this again to see if anyone has any insight into this
Serge

Post by Serge »

I don’t fully understand your request, but it looks like currently it’s not possible for 2 reasons:
1. we map only fields both Bookends and CSL can share;
2. Bookends for iOS doesn’t do scanning, we are outputting each reference just once, so there is no second time a reference is output.
mk7

Post by mk7 »

Sorry let me clarify: I just want to be able to export a reference with a separate title and subtitle (something CSL definitely has). When creating the reference, there is a clear place to put the title, but where can I put the subtitle?

I want them to be separate so that eventually when I am formatting the document it won’t repeat the entire title each time the reference is cited.
Serge

Post by Serge »

citeproc-js has some discussion about subTitle:
https://discourse.citationstyles.org/t/ ... oc-js/1563
But it looks like we don't have a special subTitle field in CSL?
mk7

Post by mk7 »

I really don’t know much about CSL, but maybe this will help. Bibtex has the option to have a title and a subtitle field separately, so it looks like this:

Title = {some title here}
Subtitle = {subtitle here}

When I then process the paper through pandoc, the first time the reference occurs it shows as the full title: subtitle, but any subsequent times it only uses the title field (not the the whole title:subtitle).

Is there a way to either mimic that functionality or to input the reference data into bookends differently such that it will achieve the same effect?