Sort search results?

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
DrJJWMac

Sort search results?

Post by DrJJWMac »

Can we sort the results of a search, for example by publication year or journal?

JJW
--
JJW
Serge

Re: Sort search results?

Post by Serge »

The results of library search or online search?
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

Pardon me. I should have been clearer. On-line.

--
JJW
--
JJW
Serge

Post by Serge »

Online searches are a bit different as you can always do “Get Next 40” references from the search result, and they should be added to the end of the list, so you can see that newly downloaded batch of references. If they were sorted, for example, by title, new references will be inserted into different sorted positions in the list, so it will be difficult to see them. Maybe, as an option, we can add a separate button to sort the current list of references, and you can do it anytime you want, for example, download as many references as needed and then do manual sort...

If anybody else finds this feature useful please let us know here.
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

I might summarize to help clarify my request.

One of my biggest issues with an on line search is that I cannot get efficient access to the most recent publications for the search terms. I am stuck trying to brute force my way through the list to determine whether any new publications have been posted since the last time I searched. Alternatively, when I would start a search on a field of terms for the first time, my natural inclination is to want to start from the most recent publications and work backwards on their lists of citations.

Bookends is not alone is not allowing the search list to be sorted by publication date. Yet some citation managers seem to be able to do it. And when I go directly to Google scholar or arXiv (the two that I use), I see directly the settings to return search results sorted by date among other options.

So ultimately, I think this has to be attacked by re-structuring the search call that Bookends sends out to get an on-line list, not by creating new options to the backend post-processes that Bookends applies to the return list.

I hope this helps better explain my thoughts.

JJW
--
JJW
tonywatkins

Post by tonywatkins »

This would certainly be useful. I do most online searching in safari for this reason.
Serge

Post by Serge »

DrJJWMac wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:27 pm Google scholar or arXiv (the two that I use), I see directly the settings to return search results sorted by date among other options.
By default, arXiv and Google Scholar search results are sorted by Relevance, but it can be changed to Date in Settings -> Search Engines -> Engine options.