Feature Request: Search bioRxiv

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
enrico.scarpella

Feature Request: Search bioRxiv

Post by enrico.scarpella »

Dear Developers,

Could you please consider adding the possibility to search bioRxiv in BE for iOS — or is it already possible? If so, could you please point me in the right direction? Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,
Enrico
Serge

Re: Feature Request: Search bioRxiv

Post by Serge »

Bookends doesn’t have direct search for bioRxiv, but you can download references from Safari. Find a reference you want to import and then click on the "Citation Tools” link on the bioRxiv page, choose RIS or Bookends from the menu and iOS will download the file and propose to open it in Bookends. Then you can open the reference in Bookends and open DOI link to download the PDF via the internal web browser (it will be linked to the reference automatically).
enrico.scarpella

Thank you Serge. For some reason, however, when I click on the DOI link, I see for a split second only the correct bioRxiv page of the preprint whose citation I have downloaded to BE for iOS and then the page goes blank — as in completely white — and nothing happens. Would you have any idea why? Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,
Enrico
Serge

Post by Serge »

We will try to fix this blank page issue in the next version. Currently, please tap on the back button in the internal web browser and the page will be shown or switch to the Safari View Controller in the app Settings, in the Internal Web Browser section (please read instructions there of how PDF downloading works with Safari View Controller).
enrico.scarpella

Thank you, Serge. Looking forward to seeing that issue resolved.

The back and forward buttons in BE for iOS’ internal browser are grayed out when the browser reaches the blank page, so clicking doesn’t do anything.

I’ll try the Safari View Controller, but given its limitations, at this point it’s probably faster do all my bioRxiv searches and additions of citations and PDFs on my Mac using the Mac version of BE, and use BE for iOS as a reader.

Thank you anyway for your time.

Best regards,
Enrico