Best method to recognize new annotations from other apps?

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
DrJJWMac

Best method to recognize new annotations from other apps?

Post by DrJJWMac »

I have a PDF in BE. I shared it out to DevonThink To Go 3. I made annotations in it. I shared it back to BE. Later, I added additional annotations in DTTG. I tried to share back the newly annotated PDF. The PDF in BE does not update.

I had a similar problem using Highlights to add new annotations to the PDF in BE. The PDF would not update with the new version.

What is the best method to have BE recognize new annotations that have been added from other apps?

--
JJW
--
JJW
Serge

Re: Best method to recognize new annotations from other apps?

Post by Serge »

Yes, I can reproduce this with DevonThink To Go v2. But if I add a new annotation in DTG then tap the back button and reopen the PDF (it looks like the file was saved only on close), on the next send to Bookends I can see newly added annotations. Do you see the same? If yes, please write to DTG support about this issue.
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

Done. Posted also to Highlights support. See also here.

https://discourse.devontechnologies.com ... apps/63872

JJW
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

PDFKit annotations are embedded in the PDFs, so it's not an issue of "sharing annotations". It's sharing the entire PDF. As Serge explained, it looks like DTTG isn't saving the PDF prior to sending it back to Bookends iOS. That's the request I hope you made to DT support -- save and then share.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

I will post a follow up to DT Support.

--
JJW
--
JJW
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

I have done further tests with Highlights and Devonthink To Go. I can work seamlessly between these two. I can create a new annotation in Highlights and it appears automatically appears in DTTG. I can create a new annotation in DTTG and it automatically appears in Highlights. I only had to share the source once from one or the other location.

I cannot get new annotations from Highlights or DTTG to be recognized in Bookends. Not at all. Not by sharing back from Highlights to Bookends or by sharing back from DTTG to Bookends. The annotations are not automatically carried within the PDF.

I also tried with PDFExpert and Highlights. I had to do the sharing in a certain order to allow the Highlights <-> PDFExpert automatic sharing. In Bookends, I could not get the PDF document from PDFExpert to be accepted as a substitution into Bookends.

--
JJW
--
JJW
Serge

Post by Serge »

DrJJWMac, thanks for reporting this bug. Technically we are not sure if it’s a bug in the app or incorrect iOS behavior in some special cases, but in the next update we will add a fix for this.