Behavior of files in sub-folders

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
DrJJWMac

Behavior of files in sub-folders

Post by DrJJWMac »

On macOS, we can move an attachment file anywhere in the Attachments folder hierarchy and (supposedly) it will still be found. This is NOT true on iOS. I created a sub-folder in the local iOS Bookends/Attachments folder and moved some attachments into it. Bookends iOS reported the attachments as missing.

A use case is this:

* Create an iOS sub-folder called "In Review"
* Move attachments into this folder
* Work on ONLY those attachments using an external iOS editor

Do you have plans to make iOS behave the same way as macOS (e.g. flattening the view of files in the Attachments folder)?
--
JJW
Serge

Re: Behavior of files in sub-folders

Post by Serge »

Local iOS Bookends folder used for Wi-Fi sync? Because I just checked and moving files in the Bookends folder in iCloud Drive works fine. We will look at this and your other suggestions, maybe some of them will be included in the app update later this year.
DrJJWMac

Re: Behavior of files in sub-folders

Post by DrJJWMac »

WiFi sync.

My primary interest is to be able to work in Bookends on macOS and iOS more effectively and consistently with self-contained libraries. This means the library database AND its default attachment folder. I can work around the approach that Bookends takes to flatten all content in the root attachment folder. I however still would appreciate ongoing efforts to tighten the search, attachment, and filing routines in Bookends so that renaming an attachment file becomes essentially unnecessary *because the Finder never allows two files of the same name to coexist in a folder in the first place*.

Thanks.
--
JJW