Two or three "missing" features on Bookends for iPadOS

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
postdoctoral

Two or three "missing" features on Bookends for iPadOS

Post by postdoctoral »

Recently I've come to depend on publication items having a unique Bibtex citekey assigned to them right away, and even more so on the attachments being immediately renamed on import, so that if the citekey is "@Someone1999" the attachment will be "Someone1999.pdf".
On these two names, and on the relationship between the two, depends a series of scripts and automatic triggers that do things that make me happy.

The problem is that these requirements have made it so that I effectively cannot use the iPad app, which I generally love to use, to import new publication items: on BE for iPad, cite keys must be made manually, (with the risk of not appending the correct letter, for example, since the UI doesn't let you browse the library as you fill in a new item form); and attachments are not renamed. The latter means that if I tried to annotate the PDF before renaming it manually on the Mac, my script would look for a matching markdown file that doesn't exist and a whole cascade of bad things would happen.

In short -- are there any plans to make cite key-assignment and attachment renaming behave like they do on the Mac app?

And a bonus request, please:

Are there any plans to let iCloud Drive sync attachments between the Mac and iPadOS app using other locations than the /Bookends/ folder on iCloud Drive? I know that it used to be the case that apps on iOS could only load and edit their own folders. But this has been changed quite a while ago, and today a plethora of apps will let you load any iCloud Drive or "On my iPad" folder and treat it like it's their own.
For me it would be very helpful to keep my PDFs in my main Documents folder, but I don't want to give up on using BE's iPad app. In fact, this is currently the only app for which I make an exception to a strict rules about where to store what...
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Two or three "missing" features on Bookends for iPadOS

Post by Jon »

Please see this

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5715

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

Gosh, all my thoughts are with Serge (and the millions of others caught up in this illegal and immoral war), in all my interactions he has always been super helpful and thoughtful.
postdoctoral

Post by postdoctoral »

This is terrible — I’m so sorry to hear this. Please keep us updated, Jon.