JSTOR importing?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
the_DZA

JSTOR importing?

Post by the_DZA »

Hi all,

Is anyone out there having sudden difficulty importing references from JSTOR using their default 'citation manager' format? I can't seem to get it working. It used to work fine as RIS.

I have a found a work-around using Bibtex and ignoring certain fields (thanks Jon), but does anyone have a working JSTOR import filter out there or know of a change in their system?

Thanks
D
Jon
Site Admin

Re: JSTOR importing?

Post by Jon »

Hi, while waiting for others to answer, are you not using the Bookends online search (and/or Bookends browser) to search JSTOR for some reason? There's no need to go through a text file to get the data.

Jon
Sonny Software
the_DZA

Post by the_DZA »

Hi Jon,

Yes that's okay if I'm somewhere with a full subscription, such as in the Library of Congress (where I am right now) but I most often use JSTOR for browsing through subject or author fields, or following links if I'm in other places, in other libraries on public computers, or on my laptop where there's no IP access to JSTOR. In those cases, I save my citations and email them to myself to import to my Bookends database when I'm back on my own machine.

This creates a "citation manager" attachment which is the one I sent you to look at, which is the one I can't import properly. If anyone has a filter for that format, I'd love to have it.

D

ps the same thing happens when I use the Astrophysics Database / Smithsonian format, which also gives alternative export options like Bibtex but whichever combination of export-import I use, it seems to have the same problems. I end up having to edit each reference individually - which is fine, but tips this over from being a time-saving to a work-creating tool.

pps I know if I were a programming whizz I could easily solve this myself, but I just can't get my head around the import filters and only rarely need to go in there, which means I seem to start from scratch with trial and error each time.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

the_DZA wrote:Yes that's okay if I'm somewhere with a full subscription, such as in the Library of Congress (where I am right now) but I most often use JSTOR for browsing through subject or author fields, or following links if I'm in other places, in other libraries on public computers, or on my laptop where there's no IP access to JSTOR. In those cases, I save my citations and email them to myself to import to my Bookends database when I'm back on my own machine.
If you're on another Mac, that's fine. But if you're on your Mac, realize that you do not need ip authentication to get the reference metadata. Use Bookends Browser to get to the reference, then the little green icon lets you import the reference metadata. You can also grab the pdf by dragging and dropping the pdf proxy icon.
This creates a "citation manager" attachment which is the one I sent you to look at, which is the one I can't import properly. If anyone has a filter for that format, I'd love to have it.

pps I know if I were a programming whizz I could easily solve this myself, but I just can't get my head around the import filters and only rarely need to go in there, which means I seem to start from scratch with trial and error each time.
Why not give a shot at creating a filter based on RIS and doing it yourself? It's pretty easy, it's just filling out a few fields that tell Bookends what to do with the text it runs into. And I'd argue that it's worth the effort so you'll be more comfortable doing something similar if you need it in the future. You can send me your effort if there are things you don't get quite right and I'll be happy to fix it for you.

Jon
Sonny Software
the_DZA

Post by the_DZA »

Thanks Jon,

You're a brick (as they said in the 1950s). I didn't realise I could get the references without authentication. I'll try doing that and will also have a go with the filter and see how it comes along.

D