GBV GVK z39.50 search

Users asking other users for import filters.
ozean

GBV GVK z39.50 search

Post by ozean »

I am fiddling around with searching the Gemeinsamer Verbund Katalog (GBV/GVK) - a big collective of German state and University libraries.

Most fields are working, I only get an error if I want to search the author field. It is Error 114.

the MARC output of the GVK looks as follows:

Code: Select all

MARC Record

001 476491991
003 GBV
008 050105s2005                  000 0 eng d
020   $a0415316987 (pbk.)
020   $a0415316979
040   $aGBV$bger
100 1 $aWood, Allen W.
245 10$aKarl Marx /$cAllen W. Wood.
250   $a2. ed
260   $aNew York, NY [u.a.] :$bRoutledge,$c2005.
300   $aXLI, 302 S.
440  0$aArguments of the philosophers
500   $a1. publ. 1981 by Routledge & Kegan Paul, 2. ed. 2004 by Routledge.
   $5GBV
533   $nReprint
801  0$aDE$bGyFmDB$gRAK-WB
900   $aGBV$bUB Potsdam$d!1000! CG 5357 WOO$xL$zLC$d03022600
990   $a686647513$z01
I guess, the 100 1 §a line is kind of non-standard? Do you have an idea what I could do?

(I based the filter on the BIBSYS filter.)

More information regarding the Z39.50 interface to the GVK can be found here: http://www.gbv.de/du/z3950/z3950-info.shtml

and here: http://www.bidmon.de/RefMan_Z3950.htm#GBV

(both pages are in German, but it should be easy for you to figure out the content)

If we get this working well, I would definitely recommend putting it into the app package - this is perhaps the biggest available catalogue in Germany.
ozean

Post by ozean »

I also have problems setting up access for HeBIS, another joint catalogue. I am getting 114 Errors on every field except for the title field.

More info about HeBIS access can be found here:
http://www.hebis.de/ben/themenuebersich ... ectID=1290

Thanks a zillion!

edit: spelling
Jon
Site Admin

Re: GBV GVK z39.50 search

Post by Jon »

ozean wrote:I am fiddling around with searching the Gemeinsamer Verbund Katalog (GBV/GVK) - a big collective of German state and University libraries.

Most fields are working, I only get an error if I want to search the author field. It is Error 114.
Which database did you search? I tried Tiborder, and it worked well. It does not allow searching specifically for author, though. That is what the error means. Look at the EndNote filter and you'll see the same thing. Since you can search for any word, that's not terribly limiting. But in any case, it seems to be imposed by the library.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

aye, I can live without being able to search the author field (although I can search the author field in the GVK database using Endnote. What kind of database is "Tiborder"?)

I do have more problems with accessing the other database – HeBIS

They do provide pretty detailed info for setting up Z39.50 access (see link in my second post in this thread), however, in their case the only search fields that I can get to work in Bookends are "Personal Name", "Title", and "ISBN". Endnote allows access to all the fields that are described on the HeBIS page (Title, Author, Year*Date, Place of publication, ISBN, ISBD, Corporate name, and Report number).

I don't know how to interpret the values in the table on that site, therefore I can just check and see how far I get with a trial and error method…

any help is very much appreciated!
ozean

Post by ozean »

I don't know how to interpret the values in the table on that site, therefore I can just check and see how far I get with a trial and error method…
Well, I am sorry… lazy, hasty me…

A closer look into the User Guide (p. 86) has revealed what the attributes used for the different field types mean. If any problems remain unsolved, I will post again.
anzonio

Post by anzonio »

Hy ocean,

i'm trying to get the search for the BVB and or the GVB to work. But i didn't know how to configure it. How did you get your filter work?
Which settings do i have to use?

Perhaps you can help me here a little.
Thanks
Ralf
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We do provide filters for three German databases in the distribution package:

GBV (GVK)
HeBIS
VÖBB

Jon
Sonny Software

Post by Guest »

Thank You for your reply, Jon.

But i don't know how to activate the filters. If i open the Internet Search i only find in the List of Search the Germany - Hebis Filter. Hoe do i activate thr GBV Filter. Is it possible to create a filter on my own?
I also want to use it with the bvb (Bayrischer Bibliotheksverbund http://www.bib-bvb.de/).

Thanks for your help.
regards
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

To activate a filter, open the Import Filter Manager (File menu) and check the checkbox. Now it's available in the import pop-up menu.

And yes, you can create a filter on your own. Select the "base" filter and click on New. Give it a name. Then, in your case, you'll probably only have to edit the information in the Internet tab (server ip address, database name, etc.).

Jon
Sonny Software