Getting multiple authors in list view?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

OK. Pending further input (and the bounds of good taste):

All ->

Smith, JR, Jones, MOR, Thurn, AL, Simon, BB & Williams, R

Jon
Sonny Software
Rick

Post by Rick »

This is a great feature to add, and it will be of use to me, but I hope others will weigh in on the comma versus semi-colon question before you get it too fixed. To my eye the semi-colon is far more clear -- the names are precisely delineated which allows me to read them faster. But that's just me.... and everybody has their own prefs. This is an excellent piece of software Jon -- I'm glad to have found it.
alexwein

Post by alexwein »

In my convention (Chicago), multiple authors are listed with commas in-between, but not an apersand but the word 'and,' such as:

Ramos, Frank, John R. Wizmont, and Clint O'Finnery.

There are no semi-colons. If you choose the semi-colons route I'd have to go back and change them all to fit the Chicago style I use.

Also, for the purposes of alphabetizing bibliographies, single author works come before multiple author works, such as:

Ramos, Frank. Title of work, etc.

Ramos, Frank, John R. Wizmont, and Clint O'Finnery. Title, etc.

Hope this helps!

Alexandria
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Alexandria,

The question here is not how to display authors in a formatted reference, but how to display them in the List View window.

Right now, the only option is First Author. In Bookends 8.0.5, there will be two more options, Multiple and All. The question is, how to display All names? We will use the & between last names (to save space). But commas or semicolons between the other names? I'm leaning towards commas, personally, but since I wouldn't use this view myself (I'd prefer one of the others) I'd like others who would to chime in.

Jon
Sonny Software
alexwein

Post by alexwein »

The question here is not how to display authors in a formatted reference, but how to display them in the List View window.
Oops. Sorry. Never mind... :oops:

Alexandria

Post by Guest »

One other useful implementation would be first and last authors as is done in internet search results: "First author...Last author". Often, I have no idea who the first author is since they are likely a postdoc or grad student that I've never heard of, but I do know the last author. I looked around for this option several times assuming it must be there since it is so obvious and already implemented in the internet search results list. Now that I see this thread it is clear that the option is not available, but I am holding out hope since you are adding options for the author display.

thanks for listening!
Kurt
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Kurt,

I hear you...

Jon
Sonny Software
tom

Post by tom »

I absolutely agree with Kurt:
"First author...last author" would be very useful (and my preference)

tom