Two citations in one reference

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
raymond

Two citations in one reference

Post by raymond »

Hello,

I have a situation where in one place I cite two references from the same author. For example: (John 1995) (John 2003). I would like it to appear in the following way: (John 1995, 2003)

How can I do it?

TIA
ozean

Re: Two citations in one reference

Post by ozean »

You should just put them into one citation, which would look something like this:

{John 1995 #12345; John 2003 #65432}

If this John is the same for both books (i.e. same first name and no additional authors), and if you chose the right format, then Bookends can render the citation like you want.

Hope that helps.
raymond

Post by raymond »

ozean wrote:You should just put them into one citation,.
Thanks for your reply. I am afraid, I do not know what exactly to do.
How would I put them into one citation. Each one of them has an entry in the bookends database.
I would appreciate if you could elaborate more as step by step to complete the process.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Mark both entries in Bookends, then hit command-Y. This should switch applications to your word processor and automatically enter both entries in a single citation.

In case this does not work, we need more information: Which program are you using? What format did you select?

good luck!
raymond

Post by raymond »

Thanks.
This time it worked and it is done.
Raymond
the_DZA

Post by the_DZA »

ozean wrote:You should just put them into one citation, which would look something like this:

{John 1995 #12345; John 2003 #65432}

If this John is the same for both books (i.e. same first name and no additional authors), and if you chose the right format, then Bookends can render the citation like you want.

Hope that helps.
Hi Ozean,

Just following this and wondered what you meant by "the right format". If I try doing this, I get (in my footnote) two separate citations, rather than one author, followed by a list of two titles.

Could you advise on the best way to render this?

Thanks,
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You mean you want something like

(Jones: My first book; My second book)

Maybe ozean has a reply, but I don't think you can do this automatically with Bookends (well, you could I think with metatypes, but it would be a hack with them).

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Yup, since you can only choose to differentiate different entries for the same author by year, this is not possible. (See screenshot of the respective formatting options.)
Screen shot 2010-02-26 at 16.20.20.png
Screen shot 2010-02-26 at 16.20.20.png (39.99 KiB) Viewed 8884 times
The only thing that is possible is: (Jay: 1999; 2002)
the_DZA

Post by the_DZA »

Thanks Jon,

That's what I thought.

Or, rather, in a footnote, I'd like to go, very simply:

Jones, First Book (Published, 2000); Second Book (Published, 2001).

Or, even, to make it clearer:

Jones, First Book (Published, 2000); idem, Second Book (Published 2001).

I know you think things like this and op cit. are archaic, but they are often very useful!

D
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

If you say so. In your example you save nothing, as far as I can see, by using Idem instead of repeating Jones (except it may look more scholarly :-) ).

And I don't even want to think about what kind of user configuring would be required to allow multiple grouped references to be output in arbitrary ways. Metatypes are complicated enough.

Jon
Sonny Software
the_DZA

Post by the_DZA »

Hi Jon,

It's true that you save nothing if the name is just 'Jones', but when the name's a bit longer, or even dual authors, it can quickly become very inelegant if you are referring to two or three works. (The footnote below, which I just wrote, for example, becomes a pain to read). A further problem of repetition of titles occurs if you quote two works from the same volume (such as the first two, below), where it would be great to be able to nest them somehow, as well as the author to save space.

G. K. Chesterton, "A Defence of Useless Information" in The Defendant (London: R. Brimley Johnson, 1901); G. K. Chesterton, "A Defence of Humility" in The Defendant (London: R. Brimley Johnson, 1901); G. K. Chesterton, "Mr Wells and the Giants", The Bookman 27 (1904): 124.

Is what BE produced, but it would be nicer (ie. I will manually have to change it to...)

G. K. Chesterton, "A Defence of Useless Information" and "A Defence of Humility" in idem. The Defendant (London: R. Brimley Johnson, 1901); idem., "Mr Wells and the Giants", The Bookman 27 (1904): 124.

This is actually quite an easy one, since there isn't a separate editor of the volume, but when you add that in to the mix, it does get very repetitive.

Just a thought,
D
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, you're reconfiguration is certainly more elegant. That's not really an issue (I did use a smiley!). The problem is that how you organize your information is arbitrary: hen to use Idem, where to use Idem. what bits to repeat and which ones to snip out. There is no way for a application to make those judgements without getting a set of rules (e.g. a format). No doubt we could generate rules to deal with the situation you have described, but they would be very complex, not to say daunting. If there are other apps that allow such levels of complexity, I'd like to see what the user interface is like (I'm pretty sure none on the Mac do it, so it would have to be a Windows app, if it exists).

Jon
Sonny Software