Author options for custom in-text citations

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Andrew Mac

Author options for custom in-text citations

Post by Andrew Mac »

Hi there, Bookends experts

I hope I can explain this adequately. I'm having a slight issue when trying to use custom in-text citations, which need to be slightly different to my bibliography entries in a few ways:

1. in-text citations use commas in some places where the bibliography has full-stops (periods)

2. first/subsequent authors need to be "John Doe / John Doe" in the in-text citations, while the bibliography uses "Doe, John / John Doe"

I have made two separate formats for these: "Andrew Mac Bibliography" and "Andrew Mac Citation". The "Bib and Document Options" for my bibliography format are set to use my citation format as the "custom citation format".

Unfortunately, when I ask Mellel to process my document, using "Andrew Mac Bibliography", this doesn't quite seem to work as expected.

The bibliography comes out perfectly, that has to be said! But when it comes to the in-text citataions I find that the comma/full-stop issue isn't a problem -- it behaves as expected -- but Bookends doesn't seem to want to format the author names correctly. Both bibliography and in-text citations come out using the bibliography format: "Doe, John / John Doe" ... and yes, I've double-checked the settings for both formats: in-text citations are definitely set to "John Doe / John Doe"!

Furthermore, if I process the document using my Citation format for both bibliography and in-text citations, the author options come out correctly. The problem only occurs when trying to use different bibliography and citation formats -- that is, when my Citation format gets called specifically for in-text citations.

So I wonder if anyone else has run into this issue or not? If it's working for other people, but not for me, does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to get it working properly?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give, and I apologise if this is just some stupid little mistake I'm making at my end.
Andrew Mac

Post by Andrew Mac »

Actually, I've just discovered that Bookends is handling the author names for Journal Articles correctly, but not the other reference types I've got in this document, namely: books, book chapters, and internet ... even though the author name options for every reference type in my "Citations" format are set exactly the same.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Andrew Mac,

You're unlikely to get a helpful response from users with this kind of technical query, and I can't help you without seeing the formats you are using. Please contact us directly for tech support at support@sonnysoftware.com

Jon
Sonny Software