Issue number appears twice

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
louko

Issue number appears twice

Post by louko »

This is perhaps quite simple, but I don't seem to understand why…

When journal articles are formatted the volume and issue number shows up fine. E.g.
Buchanan, R (1992) ‘Wicked Problems in Design Thinking.’ Design Issues, 8(2): 5-21.

However, in articles accessed online, the formatting doubles the issues number. E.g.
Buchanan, R (2000) ‘Good Design in the Digital Age.’ Gain: AIGA Journal of Design for the Network Economy, 1(1)(1) [online] available from <http://info.psu.edu.sa/psu/cis/phallora ... design.pdf> [7 January 2010]

Does anyone have an explanation and solution?

Much appreciated!
Louise
screenshot_bookends.jpg
screenshot_bookends.jpg (237.87 KiB) Viewed 8521 times
ozean

Re: Issue number appears twice

Post by ozean »

My guess is that you have also checked the “Include issue # with volume” option in the Bibliography Option tab?
Attachments
Bibliography Options tab
Bibliography Options tab
Screen shot 2010-04-25 at 11.26.43.png (35.46 KiB) Viewed 8505 times
louko

Post by louko »

Thanks for the suggestion, Ozean. However, this box is not ticked, so unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the problem… :?
ozean

Post by ozean »

Hmm, can maybe also post the formatting code for journals, so that we can see the differences? I think I might have encountered the same behavior recently, but I did not really trace the cause then and cannot remember exactly how I fixed it…
louko

Post by louko »

Here is the journal code for comparison.
Attachments
screenshot_bookends_journal.jpg
screenshot_bookends_journal.jpg (208.5 KiB) Viewed 8478 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

When I scroll to the bottom of the format window I can see the example output -- only one issue number appears, which is correct.

Jon
Sonny Software
louko

Post by louko »

Yes, this in example of the correct coding which works with journal articles. However, the example in my first post, is the incorrect one which is articles downloaded from the net. Since the coding seems the same, I do not understand why it works with one but not the other...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I think you'll need to contact tech support directly for this. Please zip and send your format to support@sonnysoftware.com.

Jon
Sonny Software
louko

Post by louko »

Thanks, Jon,

Will do.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

The problem is that you created a new Type and Bookends thinks the Volume field differently from a journal article. It doesn't know it contains vol #(issue #), and outputs the whole thing. So you get the entire volume field output and then the issue number (again).

The solution is to add the word "journal" to the name of the custom Type you made. E.g. "Journal Review" or "Journal Online" or whatever. In that case Bookends will parse the Volume field just like it would for a Journal Article.

Or you could get rid of the (i) in the format and check "include issue # with volume".

Jon
Sonny Software