Will Bookends 9 be Cocoa?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Reiner

Will Bookends 9 be Cocoa?

Post by Reiner »

will bookends 9 be a "real" Mac OS X Cocoa application? One advantage of this would be easier to do localisations.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No, it will continue to be a "fake" Mac OS X application.

Jon
Sonny Software
prop

Post by prop »

Reiner, As far as I know, Carbon will continue to be fully supported - in other words, there are NO plans by Apple to discontinue this. Therefore, Bookends is a real OS X app - maybe not NextStep, but real nonetheless...
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

thanks for your answers.

maybe it is also possible with carbon-apps to put all files into one app-package, which looks as if it was a single file in the finder. this would be great for bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, that's possible with Carbon apps. At the moment you can't do this with Valentina, though, so it's not implemented. Once that is resolved it's something I'll probably do (although the special folders would probably still be outside the bundle so folks could access the files easily: Formats, Filters, Glossaries).

Jon
Sonny Software
Andrew Mac

Post by Andrew Mac »

You can add my support for putting Bookends into a package. Whether or not it moves to Cocoa or stays as Carbon is something I'll leave to far more knowledgeable users than I ... but I've grown really fond of packaged applications.

I don't really know why, but I just think it's so much nicer, certainly neater, and probably a bit less prone to silly little accidents (other than deleting it, of course!) when everything is bundled up into a single package! :-)

I also like Bookend's current use of the Application Support folder. That's another approach I'm all in favour of!