feature request

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Reiner

feature request

Post by Reiner »

Hi there,

here are some wishes to improve bookends. there are some important fields missing:
- translator
- editor in the meaning of corrector or german Lektor as against editor in the meaning of compiler
- inserting a book-chapter: "book title" should be an additional field. the way this is solved now, I can't do this example: [author: chapter-title. In: Book-title. (series title, vol.)] because the field for the vol. is switched to "book title".
- journal article: issue number is missing. there are journals which start with page-number 1 in each issue.
- a field for ISBN/ISSN is missing

- it would be great if there were more than 4 user-defined fields possible
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Reiner,

I think most of what you are asking for is already implemented. If you set the Type to Book you should see the following fields:

Edition
Translator
ISBN

And for Book Chapter there is another field

Ser. Title

At least are there in the default settings. Did you change them?

As for issue, that's a metafield in Volume: use parentheses:

142(12)

would be the December issue for Volume 142 of that journal. You can have Bookends use the issue # independently of the volume in a format.

Jon
Sonny Software
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

thanks. but edition, translator and ISBN are used instead of user-defined fields. I meant, it would be good if they where there like e. g. the title field, not as user-defined.

and it is not possible to use series title in a book chapter entry, isn't it. I think this should be able. (sure it's not very often, when both is cited, but somtimes it is.)

some more improvement-wishes:
- the width of the columns in the list view is changable but not the last columns. or what do I do wrong.

- Prefs>References: I can rename the reference types that's great. even greater would be if I could change the appearance order of the different types.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Reiner wrote:but edition, translator and ISBN are used instead of user-defined fields. I meant, it would be good if they where there like e. g. the title field, not as user-defined.
That's right, they use the extra fields.
and it is not possible to use series title in a book chapter entry, isn't it. I think this should be able. (sure it's not very often, when both is cited, but somtimes it is.)
You can use the Series Title in a book chapter entry. Why do you think you can't?
some more improvement-wishes:
- the width of the columns in the list view is changable but not the last columns. or what do I do wrong.
The last column always trails off to the right -- you should put the field with the longest text there, typically Title.
- Prefs>References: I can rename the reference types that's great. even greater would be if I could change the appearance order of the different types.
Well, actually you can, but it would take a bit of work. The Types are represented internally numerically. If you placed Journal Article first in the list (you can), you'd then have to do a Global Change to change the old Journal type to the new one. I wouldn't recommend it.

Jon
Sonny Software
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

sorry, for another post, but I forgot my further wishes:

- prefs>lists: here I can define up to 5 columns displayed in the list view window. isn't 5 sometimes to less?

- it would be great, if I could reach a list with possible columns displays via control-click like we all know it from iTunes.

- also it would be great if we could sort the order of the columns with drag-n-drop also like in iTunes.

- a editable toolbar with some important commands in the list view would be great.

- prefs>references: ref. types and field labels should be renamable without using the mouse but with the return-key like it is known from the finder.

- Editing a format via the Formats manager: the drop-down menu with "surenames & initials" etc. should be there for authors and editors separatly.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Jon wrote:
Reiner wrote:and it is not possible to use series title in a book chapter entry, isn't it. I think this should be able. (sure it's not very often, when both is cited, but somtimes it is.)
You can use the Series Title in a book chapter entry. Why do you think you can't?
Sorry, I don't understand. When I insert a Book chapter, the field for Series Title is used as book title. so I can't have both. Or what do I not understand?

I am testing Bookends the whole morning and I would it much easier to use if there was no fields with different meanings in different contextes but always the same. The differences between the different contextes (references types) should only be the fields which are displayed, which are not and in which order they are displayed. this all should be fully user defineable.
Jon wrote:
Reiner wrote:some more improvement-wishes:
The last column always trails off to the right -- you should put the field with the longest text there, typically Title.
I understand, this is a small thing. But it is annoying to always have a bottom scrollbar, even if there is no content. would be good, if this would be changed.
Jon wrote:
Reiner wrote:- Prefs>References: I can rename the reference types that's great. even greater would be if I could change the appearance order of the different types.
Well, actually you can, but it would take a bit of work. The Types are represented internally numerically. If you placed Journal Article first in the list (you can), you'd then have to do a Global Change to change the old Journal type to the new one. I wouldn't recommend it.
I wouldn't do that. I only would like to change the order with the ease of drag n drop. nothing more. I don't want a much complicated workaround, I want drag n drop as new feature.

Thanks for answers, Reiner

PS: Sorry, our posts had overlapped.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Reiner wrote:Sorry, I don't understand. When I insert a Book chapter, the field for Series Title is used as book title. so I can't have both. Or what do I not understand?
It all depends on the format you are using. The Series Title is actually in the same field that would be used for Journal if it were a Journal Article. Please contact me directly with the format you are using and I'll go over with you how to use theTitle and Series Title in the same citation.

Jon
Sonny Software
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

Jon wrote:
Reiner wrote:Sorry, I don't understand. When I insert a Book chapter, the field for Series Title is used as book title. so I can't have both. Or what do I not understand?
It all depends on the format you are using. The Series Title is actually in the same field that would be used for Journal if it were a Journal Article. Please contact me directly with the format you are using and I'll go over with you how to use theTitle and Series Title in the same citation.

Jon
Sonny Software
I sent you an email.

In general it would be much more logical to me if there were no fields with double meanings at all. I would like to have an individual field for every entry I make. In the following a list, with the fields, which are important to me and which are logical for me. I hope I have not forgotten one:

<author(s)>
<title> (of the book, chapter, article ...)
<sub-title>
<alternative title> (or <short title>)
<editor(s)/compiler(s)>
<editor(s)/lektor(s)>
<translator(s)>
<volume>
<pages>
<source-title> means <book-title> for chapters as well as <journal title> for articles
<series-title>
<series-editor(s)>
<publishing place(s)>
<publishing house>
<year/date of publishing>
<edition>
<isbn/issn>
<url>
<keywords>
<notes>
<abstract>
<user-defined 1> ... <user-defined 10> e. g. for signatures of your local libraries. etc.