APA format and Eric.gov

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
Teresa

APA format and Eric.gov

Post by Teresa »

I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this issue. I use Eric.gov to look for science education related articles. I can save my searches in the clipboard on Eric.gov and then export those references in *.ris format. Bookends very nicely imports the ris files. The problem I run into is fomatting. The titles of articles in APA 6th ed. format only have the first letter of the first word of the title (or a word after a colon) capitalized. All other words are in smaller case. The exports from Eric.gov are in title case. I can copy-paste the title into Word, Pages, or text-editor to change the capitalization, but none of these will change the original capitalized letters. I can convert the title to all caps, but if I select "no caps" it goes back to the original way it was downloaded. I feel like this is a programming code issue (not necessarily with Bookends) in the way that the citations are exported from Eric.gov.

My solution right now is that EVERY citation I download, I have to manually change all the titles to lower case. gah. This is tedious to say the least. Incidently, I don't have this issue with Pubmed!

Suggestions??

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: APA format and Eric.gov

Post by Jon »

Hi,

The APA 6th format, as we ship it, outputs titles as entered. If you're not seeing this (and you haven't edited the format to change that to Sentence case), please contact tech support with an database example and a copy of the APA 6th format you are using (both zipped, please). Send to support@sonnysoftware.com.

Jon
Sonny Software