A few AppleScripts

Users asking other users for AppleScripts that work with Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

A few AppleScripts

Post by Jon »

Donated by "Taja".

Online Search with Bookends

Description:
While reading a PDF or using my browser, I often find references I want to add to Bookends. This script will copy highlighted text, switch to Bookends, open online search, paste the text, and press the enter key (after a short delay)

It's an applescript saved as Automator workflow so it can be used directly as a OS X Service. Drop into User/Library/Services (create the folder if it's not there already) and assign a keyboard shortcut to it using System Preferences>Keyboard Shortcut>Services (I use the same one for "Online Search..." in Bookends). If you've changed the shortcut from the default (cmd+shift+w) you'll need to alter the script to reflect that.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31064864/SearchOnline.zip

Paste to Word and Insert Citation (MS Word)

This needs altering according to your Word applescript keyboard shortcuts (set in System Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts>Application Shortcuts). It's set to work with cmd+ctrl+v for the "Insert Bookends Citation" applescript for Word, but you can change the key code/modifier key in the script so it presses any shortcut.

The script pastes highlighted text from an app (e.g. Preview, browser etc) into Word, then taps the cmd+ctrl+v keyboard shortcut to insert a citation via an applescript.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31064864/PasteToWord.zip

Insert Citation with Page Number (MS Word)

Description:
This is a niche one. Inserts a temporary citation into Word with "@" and moves the cursor into position to type the page number. Helpful if you find the default script distracting, as it doesn't involve switching to the Bookends dialogue that the default "Insert Citation with Modifiers" does. e.g. if you have a PDF and Word side by side, and want to cite without Bookends coming in front of any windows. Drop into Microsoft User Data>Word Script Menu Items and assign a keyboard shortcut.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31064864/InsertCitation.zip
Farcas

Re: A few AppleScripts

Post by Farcas »

These are great! Questions: (1) Do they still work for the latest Bookends? (2) Do the citations work for Mellel with page numbers?

Thanks!
Farcas

Post by Farcas »

I tried the first dropbox link and nothing popped up.

Would you mind sending me the file or re-uploading it?

Thanks!
AndrewKornberg

Post by AndrewKornberg »

Hi

I wonder whether the script, "Online Search with Bookends" can be reposted? The zip download is no longer available.

Thanks

Andrew

Description:
While reading a PDF or using my browser, I often find references I want to add to Bookends. This script will copy highlighted text, switch to Bookends, open online search, paste the text, and press the enter key (after a short delay)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31064864/SearchOnline.zip
Farcas

Post by Farcas »

Dropbox links are dead. Would love to see these reposted.

Also, is there a way to select a text and then search it within my own Bookends library? From there, if it does not show up, is there a way to move directly to the Bookends browser with the same search text?

Thanks!
AndrewKornberg

Post by AndrewKornberg »

Hi

I played around with Applescript and came up with this:

tell application "Adobe Acrobat" to activate

tell application "System Events"
tell process "Acrobat Pro"
keystroke "c" using command down
end tell

end tell

delay 0.2

tell application "Bookends" to activate

tell process "Bookends"
keystroke "w" using {shift down, command down}
end tell

delay 5

tell process "Bookends"
keystroke "v" using {command down}
delay 5
keystroke return
end tell

end tell

end tell
mjvalente

Post by mjvalente »

I did a few changes to that applescript so it would work with Alfred app. (Not really an expert on applescript, so this is kind of a "MacGyver" way out.)

The script below sends the clipboard content to Bookends Browser (ideally Google Scholar should be the default search site; set it in File > Online Search > select Bookends Browser > Bookmark menu > Edit Bookmarks... > select Google Scholar):

Code: Select all

tell application "Bookends" to activate

tell process "Bookends"
		keystroke "w" using {shift down, command down}
	end tell

delay 5

tell process "Bookends"
			keystroke "v" using {command down}
			delay 5
			keystroke return
		end tell

end tell

end tell
And here is the same script, but as an Alfred workflow: link to download. It uses the bb keyword as trigger, but that can be easily changed.

The only problem I came across with it is that the script to be triggered needs the Online Search NOT to be active at that moment. (Maybe someone can help with that and include a few lines on the script that can do that automatically.)

Hope this can help other people.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"