size limit for abstract?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jackdrty

size limit for abstract?

Post by jackdrty »

While Bookends usually works perfectly for us, today my partner had an unpleasant experience when the last two pages of a long abstract (10+ pages) disappeared after she closed the application.

What's the size limit for abstracts? I searched the User Guide but couldn't find the answer.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

What version of Bookends? Please make sure you are using 8.0.4.

The length is, in theory, unlimited. In practice there are limits (don't know what they are, but it's a lot of text).

Note that very long abstracts in can cause Bookends 8.0.4 to crash, especially if there is a lot of styled text (an example I have that does this is 264K long, text + style data -- so figure perhaps 200,000 characters of text). This has been fixed in 8.0.5, and even this monster loads OK (although it takes perhaps 5 seconds to render).

So get Bookends 8.0.5 when it is released. And if you want to keep lots and lots of text associated with a reference, you might consider composing it in a word/text processor and making it an attachment.

Jon
Sonny Software
jackdrty

Post by jackdrty »

Jon,

As always, we appreciate your speedy and helpful replies.

Yes, we're using version 8.0.4, but our experience with abstract limits is different than what you've written above. In at least two cases, closing our Bookends application appears to have trimmed long abstracts to exactly 25,320 characters (about ten pages).

So we'll take your advice on attaching word documents for long abstracts, and will look forward to 8.0.5.

Jack
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

jackdrty wrote:Yes, we're using version 8.0.4, but our experience with abstract limits is different than what you've written above. In at least two cases, closing our Bookends application appears to have trimmed long abstracts to exactly 25,320 characters (about ten pages).
Yes, I see this. It's fixed in Bookends 8.0.5 (to test, I pasted a 30 page, single spaced paper of about 100,000 characters and lots of styled text into the Abstract field).

Jon
Sonny Software